WHS recognizes second WD HDD, but volume doesn't show up in My Computer RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get this to show up as a volume in my computer, I want to add some directories and map some drives for the users at my house. But I don't want to give them a file on the small D:/ on the computer.

I have WHS installed on an 80 HDD, I then have a second HDD plugged in. The volume is shown in the WHS console and I am using around 300GB so obviously the HDD is on and functioning.

How do I mount the HDD to Server 2003?

Any insigt would be excellent.

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:55 AM

Answers

•  terrible1one3 wrote:
    The volume is shown in the WHS console and I am using around 300GB so obviously the HDD is on and functioning.

If you added the drive to the pool via the console thats it. It becomes part of D:

From the technical brief for WHS Drive Extender:

"In a single hard-drive system, Windows Home Server is configured with a 20-gigabyte system partition for the Windows Home Server operating system, and the remainder of the primary hard drive is allocated to the primary data partition. Each subsequent (or secondary) hard drive is logically added to the data partition. It appears to the user as one large hard drive; however, these drives are considered to be part of the secondary data partition. In reality, your home server consists of multiple hard drives of varying sizes."

You can find a link to this brief and others in the announcement section of the forum
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:37 AM
  •  terrible1one3 wrote:
    Hmm, it appears the way that I added the volume through WHS, it just added the volume INSIDE the C:/ specifically C:\fs\C, C is another volume, my large volume I couldn't find!

Odd the way it was added. I guess new question out of this... If I map a network drive to D:/ it appears as if it won't utilize the free space in my other hard drive. Is there a way to change this without reformatting and adding it to the D:/ partition?

WHS handles all that for you, you don't need to worry about anything; your WHS installation is working exactly the same way as everyone elses.

Shares in WHS are mapped to folders on D:\. The Drive Extender service takes files copied to the share and moves them (leaving a placeholder) to c:\fs\whateverdisk automagically.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:59 AM
  •  terrible1one3 wrote:
    Ok, I am accepting this but curious as to why it shows my mapped drive as only having a capacity of only 54.5GB. I have it mapped to \\HOMESERVER\USERS\USERNAME I have no HDD limit set to any user. Why doesn't it show the amount of unused space which the console says is 222GB?

I know these are a bunch of newbie questions but the function of the WHS console seems quite different from a standard server :-P

Yeah it is very different - it's not designed for people who like digging around inside Windows (that's what Add-Ins like my Disk Management tool are for Wink ).

The share shows as only having D: drive's free space available because the Windows network client software doesn't know about Drive Extender, or how it works. That's one of the limitations of WHS, and one of the reasons MS recommends your largest drive be the system disk - Vista is going to check the free space "available" and not let you copy files if it doesn't see enough free space.

In the background, though, DE is doing its thing. If you copy a file to a share, DE will pretty much immediately move it to one of the storage pool disks.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:19 AM

All replies

•  terrible1one3 wrote:
    The volume is shown in the WHS console and I am using around 300GB so obviously the HDD is on and functioning.

If you added the drive to the pool via the console thats it. It becomes part of D:

From the technical brief for WHS Drive Extender:

"In a single hard-drive system, Windows Home Server is configured with a 20-gigabyte system partition for the Windows Home Server operating system, and the remainder of the primary hard drive is allocated to the primary data partition. Each subsequent (or secondary) hard drive is logically added to the data partition. It appears to the user as one large hard drive; however, these drives are considered to be part of the secondary data partition. In reality, your home server consists of multiple hard drives of varying sizes."

You can find a link to this brief and others in the announcement section of the forum
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:37 AM
  • That is fine, if my D:/ would show up as saying there is 54GB size and 48.2GB free.

Where is the rest of the volume? According to My Computer 64.5GB is the total amount of space when you add C:/ and D:/ together.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Hmm, it appears the way that I added the volume through WHS, it just added the volume INSIDE the C:/ specifically C:\fs\C, C is another volume, my large volume I couldn't find!

Odd the way it was added. I guess new question out of this... If I map a network drive to D:/ it appears as if it won't utilize the free space in my other hard drive. Is there a way to change this without reformatting and adding it to the D:/ partition?
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:52 AM
  •  terrible1one3 wrote:
    Hmm, it appears the way that I added the volume through WHS, it just added the volume INSIDE the C:/ specifically C:\fs\C, C is another volume, my large volume I couldn't find!

WHS handles all that for you, you don't need to worry about anything; your WHS installation is working exactly the same way as everyone elses.

Shares in WHS are mapped to folders on D:\. The Drive Extender service takes files copied to the share and moves them (leaving a placeholder) to c:\fs\whateverdisk automagically.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Ok, I am accepting this but curious as to why it shows my mapped drive as only having a capacity of only 54.5GB. I have it mapped to \\HOMESERVER\USERS\USERNAME I have no HDD limit set to any user. Why doesn't it show the amount of unused space which the console says is 222GB?

I know these are a bunch of newbie questions but the function of the WHS console seems quite different from a standard server :-P
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  terrible1one3 wrote:
    Ok, I am accepting this but curious as to why it shows my mapped drive as only having a capacity of only 54.5GB. I have it mapped to \\HOMESERVER\USERS\USERNAME I have no HDD limit set to any user. Why doesn't it show the amount of unused space which the console says is 222GB?

Yeah it is very different - it's not designed for people who like digging around inside Windows (that's what Add-Ins like my Disk Management tool are for Wink ).

The share shows as only having D: drive's free space available because the Windows network client software doesn't know about Drive Extender, or how it works. That's one of the limitations of WHS, and one of the reasons MS recommends your largest drive be the system disk - Vista is going to check the free space "available" and not let you copy files if it doesn't see enough free space.

In the background, though, DE is doing its thing. If you copy a file to a share, DE will pretty much immediately move it to one of the storage pool disks.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:19 AM
  • Ahh ok.

I thought maybe it would have been better to have the OS run on a smaller drive then have the large drives be storage, obviously the way the console plays around with everything doesn't make that work at all.

Well hopefully having the drives mapped to the server console shared files (which are locked by rights) will allow me to utilize the full space amount on the server. Thanks a lot for all of the responses! Well appreciated.

Cheers!

-Mike
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 3:29 AM