Assign a category to a transfer.........how? please RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have started using MS Money Sunset and have 2 current accounts; 2 credit cards and 3 savings accounts setup.

On a monthly basis i transfer money to the credit card accounts and savings accounts to pay off debt and start saving respectively.

I really want to assign a "savings" category etc so that i can see in the spending by category pie chart what % of my salary each month goes toward saving and to which savings account.......likewise for the 2 credit cards.

So far i have been unsuccessful and i have googled as much as i can and all i find is reference to earlier versions of money that allowed "Special transfers" ???

I really don't want to have to do this in 2 seperate transactions (withdrawal from my current account and a deposit in my savings). 

Can anyone please help me on this?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:14 PM

All replies

• Scroll down to the bottom of your category pulldown list and you will see the "Special" transfer categories that you're looking for.

I doubt that transfers will show up as Savings in any reports though.

• Proposed as answer by ameridan Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:54 PM
    • Edited by ameridan Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:56 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I don't know how to do what you ask. Forget the special transfers. Nothing special about them. I would just do a regular transfer.

I do have an idea for a that should help you visualize the reduction of credit card debt and the building of savings. Go to the Net Worth Over Time report. Customize to show only the credit card and savings accounts. Maybe add in the checking account too. Set the time period. Save the report as a Customized report with a meaningful name. You can later access this report via Favorites->FavoriteReports.

This presumes that you are entering the credit card transactions including spending. Many credit cards provide OFX servers, and you can automate getting those transactions into Money via PocketSense. Remember that you spend money when you use your credit card, and not when you pay the credit card balance down.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:35 PM