Will not finish the frist reboot RRS feed

• Question

• When the server rebooted the first time during the install, it hangs and never finishes.

Any ideas what might cause this?

I've started over 3 times and everytime it reboots it does the samething.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:06 AM

Answers

•  The boot order is CD-Rom; C; A;

Could the problem be that since WHS doesn't create drive letters the BIOS is loking for a "C" drive and there isn't one?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi dave,

Sounds like you either have a bad burn or unsupported controllor. are you getting the prompt to press f* to install drivers?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:09 AM
  • No it just reboots and comes to the part where it tells me to press [enter] to boot from cd or DVD. When I do it starts the install over.

I'm using a older MB an AOpen AX64 Pro P3 1gig.

I had the beta for Vista on it up until January 07 then put it aside.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Don't hit enter. Just let it go beyond that point.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Hi Grizzly,

my experience tells me that if the first upgrade install fails, your only option is to do a new install. Is this what you are seeing?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:28 AM
  • My computer did the same thing. It would hang during shut down on the first reboot. This is what I did to get past it. When it hangs press reset to force the reboot. When the press any key to boot from dvd comes up ignore it and let it boot from the hd. The rest of the install went fine after that. One important thing is to not boot from the dvd during restarts let it boot from the hd. I know this is not a fix but is a work a round.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:35 PM
  • It does go through the reboot, but when it gets to the part where it should come back up it hangs there.

I left it over - night thinking it might be doing something I can't see, but it was still there this morning.

I'm gonna try burning a new disk, and remove all the boards but the video card and give it another try.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:44 PM
  • I believe this issue is caused by 2 factors.

1. The installation needs the installation DVD in the drive for it to complete after the reboot.

2. The installation DVD is bootable and therefore, one sees the message about hitting a key to boot from CD and DVD.

It can be resolved by ignoring the boot option to boot from CD DVD after the first reboot. Installation should proceed normally after that.

I installed Windows Home Server on a virtual machine in Virtual PC and released the ISO during the reboot process so the machine booted from the HDD after the first reboot, but then the installation complained about being unable to mount the DVD. So then, I rebooted the machine after capturing the ISO. I got the message offering to boot from DVD, which I ignored. The installation then proceeded normally.

My only issue is that Windows Home Server differs from normal Windows installations in this requirement that it requires the DVD to be in the drive after the first reboot and if the installation program cannot find the DVD in the drive, it should not just fail, but ask the use to put in the DVD and then retry mounting the installation DVD.

Hope that helps

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:31 PM
  • I started over from scratch - I wipped the hard drives clean and started the install again.

It goes through all the initial set up stuff about copying the files to the hard drive and then it re-boots. Now I haven't taken the media out of the drive.

It boots up as far as the option to "Press Enter TO Boot From CD or DVD......." then it does nothing been watching it and nothing.

If I take the media out and re-boot it gets to the same point and give me a message the there isn't anything to boot to. Yet when I re-start the install and it want's to format the drives there is one labeled as "SYSTEM", so it looks like it's created the partion. I'm stuck at the first re-boot everytime.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:02 PM
  • In your bios under boot sequence do you have it set so that the dvd drive is first and the hd is second? Sounds like you have it set to boot from dvd but have no hd listed as a boot device.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Boot Order is CD-Rom; C; A;

Could it be that there isn't a "C" drive anymore?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:53 PM
  •  The boot order is CD-Rom; C; A;

Could the problem be that since WHS doesn't create drive letters the BIOS is loking for a "C" drive and there isn't one?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:56 PM
  • I'm having the same problem on an Abit AB-BX6 motherboard. I've tried installing WHS on an 80gb Maxtor drive and a 160gb Western Digital drive. I first boot from the DVD, it installs successfully (creating a 10gb SYS partition, on V: ) but after rebooting (and ignoring the boot to DVD option) the system just hangs.

It could be several reasons, but I'm pretty sure it's not the disks, and the burn of WHS is good. I think it's because the BIOS is expecting a "C" drive (I have the option to boot to A through F drives, CDROM, SCSI, or LS/ZIP) when in fact the SYS drive is V:. So I've been mucking with diskpart, fixmbr, etc. and I'll post if I find a solution.

Thanks!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:03 PM
  • I had this problem also with an older motherboard (Gigabyte Athlon 2000+).  I was finally able to complete the installation sequence by changing the boot order in the BIOS after the 1st reboot from Floppy->CDROM->IDE to Floppy->IDE->CDROM.  Then the installation completed fine.

Stephen

Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:08 PM