Vail only backs up C: drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm testing my Vail serer using my HP Mini as my test backup client PC. Vail is only backing up the C: drive which is a 16 gb flash drive. I keep all my actual data on extra SD cards (two of them) permanently installed in the HP Mini. WHS V1 backed up all the drives. I checked the backup settings in Vail and it only saw/offered to backup the C: drives and didn't recognize the other drives that are installed.

Is this a known bug?

-CB

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:44 AM

Answers

• Not a known bug. Questions

- Were the cards connected to the client when you connected the client to the server? If not can make sure they are connected and then see them in the start the customize backup wizard?

- Are these formatted as NTFS volumes, because we only support NTFS (I am assuming because this was the same in V1)

Please open a bug and attach log.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Vail does not backup removable drives and I believe the SD cards (and other similar flash storage devices such has CF, etc) are considered removable by windows as a result of which these are not being backed up. I would be surprised if v1 backed those up either. Was the mini connected to a v1 server prior to this and were those cards being backed up? If v1 did back those up, please go ahead and file a bug with the logs. We would be very much interested in finding out why Vail isn't.

Thanks,
    Imran.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:20 AM

All replies

- Were the cards connected to the client when you connected the client to the server? If not can make sure they are connected and then see them in the start the customize backup wizard?

- Are these formatted as NTFS volumes, because we only support NTFS (I am assuming because this was the same in V1)

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Vail does not backup removable drives and I believe the SD cards (and other similar flash storage devices such has CF, etc) are considered removable by windows as a result of which these are not being backed up. I would be surprised if v1 backed those up either. Was the mini connected to a v1 server prior to this and were those cards being backed up? If v1 did back those up, please go ahead and file a bug with the logs. We would be very much interested in finding out why Vail isn't.

Thanks,
    Imran.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Vail does not backup removable drives. Was the mini connected to a v1 server prior to this and were those cards being backed up? If v1 did back those up, please go ahead and file a bug with the logs. We would be very much interested in finding out why Vail isn't.

Thanks,
    Imran.

I still run my WHS 1 server as my main backup for all my PCs. I thought it was backing up all the drives when I had the HP Mini connected but I will have to re-test and confirm. It's funny though that WHS 1 was pretty aggressive about backing up any new drives when I plugged them in (even when I didn't want them backed up) including removable drives any time I attached one. I'll do some more testing. Even it's not the default I think there should be at least the option to backup these SD cards. In the case of the HP Mini it only shipped with a 16 gb flash drive and Windows 7 premium just barely fits on this. Thus I use the additional SD card slots for actual personal data storage (Docs, Pics, etc.).
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:01 AM

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Yes, the cards basically are installed all the time as I put My Docs, etc. on them. Yes, they are NTFS.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:03 AM