none
Connector won't install

Question

• I've got a a number of systems (XP Home, W7, 2008 R2). I've successfully installed the (WHS 2011) connector on all these but one system; a second XP Home (SP3) system, keeps failing with an 'unable to establish a trust relationship' error. The other similar XP Home system is working fine. (I've checked that the date/time/tz are correct)

Any ideas how I can diagnose the problem here?

I've noticed that the WHS2011 CA has issued (and revoked) certs for this system. Is it that it can't install the cert?

Robert
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:07 PM

All replies

• Do you have Windows firewall enabled on the XP system? If so, disable it prior to attempting to install the connector

Also if you have >NET 4.0 runtime installed, uninstall it and try again.

Hope that helped.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I will be watching here as many others are too. I also have problems with connector installing on windows xp sp3 pc's. I have two so far that fail with the same below. I have tried every thing I can think of. My windows 7 pro install and is working fine. I am not going though a router, just a switch. The install always fails at the same point. I have turned off my firewall, anti virus, uninstall of .net. So far no luck. I have been searching every where for soem one with the same problems. I think others are doing like me and was hoping to find answer.But so far no luck. I use Norton 360 on my xp pc's for anti virus and firewall. I guess I will need to go back and try each step of what I did and track it as I go and document it. I have been working on this for week.

Just as an FYI I did have WHS v1 installed before on the clients. I should be gone now. WHS V1 is no longer on the network, so that should not be an issue. But I must be missing some thing. This move to WHS V2 so far and done nothing but give me a massive headache. I sure would appreciate some help, ideas and suggestions. This is the firs time, I have been written for help, as the forums are so helpful. But I am at my end. HELP !!!!!!

"'unable to establish a trust relationship' error. The other similar XP Home system is working fine. (I've checked that the date/time/tz are correct)"

Thanks

JimD

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

This could be a problem I ran into while testing VAIL beta/RC?
    (See my feedback #588060 on connect)

The problem was due to improper security settings vo the MachineKeys folder the All Users Profile\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA.
    It appeared the machine's system was originally installed on a FAT32 formatted partition, then converted to NTFS. Somewhere in the conversion process the folders security settings where set incorrectly. I "crudely" Fixed my problem (see work around) by resetting the security....

Warning: no garanty this procedure will solve you problem. Also this is about tampering with the systems security.
    Best would be to re-install the OS to using a NTFS formatted system disk...

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:09 PM
  • I just wanted to report that I, too, am having this problem:  "The computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again."  This obviously has nothing to do with date and/or time.  The connector software runs a bit, though, before this message appears, and the server actually takes note of the computer, but lists it as offline, and doesn't report any information about its OS in the Dashboard. I presume that if I ever discover what works, I will have to delete the computer from the Dashboard list and re-execute the connector software properly. 

I've not yet had a chance to try the MachineKeys permission changing, but I will do that tomorrow and report back.  The computer in question is a bit old, and just may have experienced a conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. 

actor39

actor39
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:59 PM
  • I'm happy to report that the MachineKeys permission settings did the trick!  The existing permissions were only set for the user "Everybody", for full control.  I added the users "Administrators" and "System", and gave them both full control.  Then everything worked fine.  This is a great find by Theo, so THANKS for posting the solution, at least for my situation.  I only hope that the rest of you who are having this problem are so fortunate as I have been to find a solution.

actor39

actor39
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:31 PM
  • On a Windows XP Home machine with no security tab I just renamed the MachineKeys folder (added "old") and then the computer connected with out error.
    • Proposed as answer by rockin'Robin Monday, September 19, 2011 1:31 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Thank you.

I have been struggling with my XP PC for a week - yes it used to be fat32

renamed the folder to .old

most of the files were dated 2006 apart from 2 from this week

new folder has been regenerated with one file in there

again thank you

Thursday, August 04, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I too started with the error while trying to launch Dashboard
    "The server appears to be offline Do you want to sign in to offline mode?"
    I followed the suggestion of uninstalling the Connector software, and uninstalling all .NET 4 framework things in Prorgrams/Features (control panel)
    I rebooted, ran windows update, and the .NET 4 was re-installed. (after a few checks)

I also followed the suggestion from here:

"Try this:

1. Remote Desktop to the home server.

2. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Certification Authority.

3. Right click the SERVERNAME-CA. All Tasks - Renew CA Certificate."

It did say what do when asked about revoking so I said yes. (mistake? see below)  :(

Now it's worse!

I cannot re-install the connector software at ALL after having it uninstalled.

When I go to: http://server/connect, I immediately get the website to download the software. When I click on the link, I immediately get the option to save or run.   I run it, enter the Administrator password, and the I get:

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is unable to establish a trust relationship with the server. Verify that the computer's date and time are accurate and try again. "

I checked the time on the workstation and server - they are both correct with time and time zone.

I found this but it doesnt help and sounds like I'm totally screwed/hosed now

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/71708425-bdbb-44c7-a280-ec3f7b51ca03

Did I miss something?   When I messed with the Certificate stuff on WHS 2011, did I really F things up bad?    I guess I can re-install the whole server and laptop from scratch if I "need" to but I'd rather not of course!  :-(

Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:29 AM
  • From your despricion I think the following links maybe helpful:

1.client deployment FAQ
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.aspx
    2. Try this forum thread workaroud.
     http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/624ebef2-ab1e-421e-9f4f-688b02cd62b8/

Hope that helped. If you still have this issue after tring these workaround, I suggest you open a connect bug and attach log on the connect tab. Then microsoft will aware this issue.

thanks,

Paul

Friday, August 19, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Thanks Paul, I couldn't figure it out last month and ended up doing a clean install of WHS 2011 from scratch.  I'll keep this in mind if it ever happens again or I see someone else ask about it.  For now I've been up and running again smoothly after the fresh re-build.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:45 AM
  • I would would like to know how many have change the name of the workgroup to something other than workgroup. If I don't change the name everything works if I change the name I can no longer connect.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:38 AM
  • I've been reading forums for 15 years and have never once commented, there's almost always someone else with MY problem and someone else who's solved it to read and learn from, so posting hasn't been necessary.

So my very first post in my entire IT career goes to Jason to say Thanks, IT WORKED. I fiddled with permissions on the MachineKeys folder as directed in a half dozen other posts and NONE of it worked, your idea to rename and have it rebuild did the trick, 3.5 hours of frustration fixed with one .old.

THANK YOU!

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:47 AM
  • I've been reading forums for 15 years and have never once commented, there's almost always someone else with MY problem and someone else who's solved it to read and learn from, so posting hasn't been necessary.

So my very first post in my entire IT career goes to Jason to say Thanks, IT WORKED. I fiddled with permissions on the MachineKeys folder as directed in a half dozen other posts and NONE of it worked, your idea to rename and have it rebuild did the trick, 3.5 hours of frustration fixed with one .old.

THANK YOU!

My first time too as I only bought the MS WHS 2011 a week or two ago. Meanwhile I have been reading the hundreds of posts on this subject and cannot make out which applies to my problem... it seems all my 64 bit machines connect without problem, but all the 32-bit ones (especially the laptops) will not connect and just give the same old message :

"Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again".

Amazing that so many people are having the same problem and nothin helpful comes from Microsoft .... over 2 thousand 7 hundred people listed on this blog alone!!!

I am not confident to change registry entries and not sure about "MachineKeys" especially when fiddling with other people's computers.

For my own desktop I just had to go out and change it to Windows Ultimate 64-bit; works fine now, but at what cost to back-ups and all my wasted previous work.

What to do??

Seems this is the most recommended solution, but messing with registry entries is a no-no for me - I'm not even sure how/where to back-up the original:

For those of you experiencing this issue. Here is the solution I found that worked for me:

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key.  Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag.  This is what setup is detecting.

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:51 PM

Or maybe this is the "Ultimate" answer??:

The bottom line is that it is a name resolution issue. The workstation was unable to resolve the name of the server to its IP address. In the case presented as the answer, resetting the internet router caused the workstation to forget about what it knew and didn't know, and start over. It was then successful in resolving the name.

I just had this issue as well. My connector would not open the console, and I could not reinstall it. I could browse to the WHS IP address and download the connector installer, and it would get as far as finding the server. Once it found the server, it showed the name, said it was downloading software, showed a percentage indicator, and then failed with the error indicated at the top of the thread.

Reading this thread turned me on to the fact that it was a simple name resolution problem. I could ping the WHS by IP but not by name.

I set the WHS to a static IP address outside the router's DHCP range, added an entry to the HOSTS file on the workstations, and updated my spreadsheet where I keep my static IP addresses documented.

Then my connector worked fine. I had this problem on two workstations. The same solution worked for both.

The thing about all this is - it shouldn't happen!! I went out and bought an expensive bit of kit with Microsoft's name on it (and Acer for the hardware) and it doesn't work properly! Not really my problem; it is Microsoft's problem and it puts people off buying GENUINE software if this sort of thing happens....
    • Edited by mikerichworld Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:59 AM edited text
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:37 AM
  • I'm happy to report that the MachineKeys permission settings did the trick!  The existing permissions were only set for the user "Everybody", for full control.  I added the users "Administrators" and "System", and gave them both full control.  Then everything worked fine.  This is a great find by Theo, so THANKS for posting the solution, at least for my situation.  I only hope that the rest of you who are having this problem are so fortunate as I have been to find a solution.

actor39

actor39

I know this thread is a bit old now, I just wanted to say that this solution also fixed my problem getting the connector (Windows XP Home) to connect to WHS 2011. 

Changing the security permissions on: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys to include the users "Administrators" and "System" allowed me to get past the trust relationship error. 

This was no way related to the time issue as reported by the connector software, but this was probably obvious.

If you don't have the security tab in XP Home, you can enable it by following this guide: http://www.mydigitallife.info/enable-and-display-security-tab-in-windows-xp-home-edition/

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:56 PM
  • You guys rock! I have spent the best part of two weeks on and off trying to get the connector software to install on my XP Home Premium PC with no success!

I just followed your instructions and all is good!

Thank you, just need to find a similar solution now for Vista Home Premium, which installs to 95% then backtracks and says it encountered an error and has removed the software! Any help?

Simon

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:50 PM