none
? related to hard drive upgrade Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a genuine licence for win7 pro, on a Dell desktop with 80GB hard drive; I would like to upgrade to a bigger HD via clone software??

How do I do this without compromising the WGA validation process already completed ? Is there a user notification process to MS or what ??

Thanks for your help.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:59 PM

Answers

• Simply changing the hard drive doesn't always trigger a re-activation request - it depends on whether other hardware has also been changed, AND whether the old hard drive is left attached.

Simply do the cloning, make the new drive the Active one, and take the Active flag OFF the old one - and Windows should boot the now one without a problem - if necessary you can then tempt re-activation.

However, be aware that this procedure often  (or at least seems to) breaks the Intel Rapid Storage drivers, which will require repair before the system will activate properly.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:08 AM

All replies

• You are going to have to activate Windows 7 anyway because the new hard drive ID number will be different.  Activate Windows 7 via the internet or by phone.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Hi Carey, Thanks for the info; so nothing to do before the upgrade, just on activation after the installation/upgrade and startup with the new image of win 7. I plan to clone my present image onto the new drive, and then ? WGA ? will realise there is a change as the drive numbers are different and then internet or phone process.

Not done this before so learning. Thanks.

Rgds Brian.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Simply changing the hard drive doesn't always trigger a re-activation request - it depends on whether other hardware has also been changed, AND whether the old hard drive is left attached.

Simply do the cloning, make the new drive the Active one, and take the Active flag OFF the old one - and Windows should boot the now one without a problem - if necessary you can then tempt re-activation.

However, be aware that this procedure often  (or at least seems to) breaks the Intel Rapid Storage drivers, which will require repair before the system will activate properly.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Ok Noel, thks for the info, i'll do some more homework then give it a try.

Rgds Brian.

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:59 PM