Shared folder cannot remove live desktop sync RRS feed

• Question

• My friend has shared a folder with me and on his PC he has got it set not to sync with his live desktop.

I have accepted the invition and now have access to his shared folder as an owner, but it will not allow me to stop syncing with my live desktop. As the folder will probably grow to more than 5gb's.

Any suggestions?

Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:58 AM

Answers

• From what I understand, you can only remove the Live Desktop and fall back on P2P when you are the [owner] creator of the folder. I may be wrong - but all of my folders are exhibiting the same behaviour.
    • Edited by nachmore Monday, December 15, 2008 3:07 PM owner actually meant "creator"
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, December 15, 2008 4:48 PM
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:00 PM
  • If you share a folder with someone else (who is not on your mesh) the size will only be counted for the quota of "creator" of the folder, but not for the other users who have been invited to that folder.
    I guess that the reason for this is that only one instance of this folder will be stored "in the cloud" which is then shared between the users.
    Only the creator can specify on which devices a folder should sync, including the live desktop. There may be technical reasons for this but I think it's also fair to let only the creator control this setting because it affects only his quota usage.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft Windows Installer MVP, www.InstallSite.org
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:24 PM
  • So as Ken mentioned earlier this appears to be a bug. Please report it on Connect and submit your logs.

Since the files aren't counted to your quota nor to your friend's quota (as it seems) I wouldn't be too worried about this. But please still report it on Connect.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:44 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by g00ner Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by g00ner Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:44 AM

All replies

• From what I understand, you can only remove the Live Desktop and fall back on P2P when you are the [owner] creator of the folder. I may be wrong - but all of my folders are exhibiting the same behaviour.
    • Edited by nachmore Monday, December 15, 2008 3:07 PM owner actually meant "creator"
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Monday, December 15, 2008 4:48 PM
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I have double checked and l was already set as an owner.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:17 PM
  • apologies for the mix up in terminology, I meant "creator" - which is a non-assignable role that is only assigned to the creator of the folder.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:06 PM
  • If you share a folder with someone else (who is not on your mesh) the size will only be counted for the quota of "creator" of the folder, but not for the other users who have been invited to that folder.
    I guess that the reason for this is that only one instance of this folder will be stored "in the cloud" which is then shared between the users.
    Only the creator can specify on which devices a folder should sync, including the live desktop. There may be technical reasons for this but I think it's also fair to let only the creator control this setting because it affects only his quota usage.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft Windows Installer MVP, www.InstallSite.org
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:24 PM
  • I wonder what happens if someone shares a folder that is not on their Live Desktop - I would assume that you could then opt to have it on your Live Desktop as normal...
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Stefan is correct.

The creator of the folder is the the only with access to add or remove the folder from Live PC synchronization.  When they change it it changes for everyone else that is a member. 

If you see a folder start to sync with the Live PC desktop that the creator has set to not sync please let us know and submit a bug on it as something has gone awry.

-Ken
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:04 PM
  • The creator of the shared folder only has it synced to his PC/Laptop' s in his mesh, but NOT to his Live Deskop.

As the invitee to the the shared folder l don't have the option of not syncing to the Live Desktop and the creator does not seem to have any options to configure this. The shared folder is appearing in my Live Desktop.

According to one of the posts above this does not count towards my 5Gb limit, only the creator takes this hit, but he does not have the folder synced to his Live Desktop.

That doesn't make sense to me or have l misunderstood?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:42 AM
  • It doesn't seem to make much sense to me either - i.e. the case you are describing seems to work opposite to what has been stated as "expected behaviour".

One way to tell regarding the quota would be to look at the amount of quota you have used on your Live Desktop - since you said that the folder is significantly large you should see a significant usage bump if it was contributing to your quota...
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:58 PM
  • I am only seeing .4gb in use on my Live Desktop, but the Shared Folder is over 2Gb. Strange.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Which would seem to indicate that regardless of the creator's sync settings the quota is not being counted as yours. I wonder if it is being counted as his, if he has opted to not sync with the Live Desktop, otherwise that seems like a nice loophole (i.e. bug) for free quota.
    • Edited by nachmore Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:57 PM clarification
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:57 PM
  • That was what l was thinking. The files are definetly there as l can access them from the Live Desktop folder.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:03 PM
  • I've tried to reproduce this problem but couldn't.
    I've created a new folder, added it to my mesh, and changed the sync options so that it doesn't sync with my Live Desktop. Then I invited another user to this folder. After he accepted the invitation and mapped the folder on his PC the contents synced to his pc.
    The folder is displayed as a transparent shortcut icon on my Live Desktop and also on his. Exactly as expected.

Could you please double check with your freind to see if the folder really isn't synced with his Live Desktop, i.e. it's displayed as a transparent icon with the shortcut arrow?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:44 PM
  • yes the folder is definetly siynced as l drop files into the shared folder for him to pick up.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 1:57 PM
  • but is the folder actually synced with his live desktop?

So if your friend opens his Live Desktop can he access the files in the folder?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 1:11 AM
  • No. he has turned off syncing to his live desktop and only has a shared folder on his PC/Laptop. Which shows the correct files/folders that l have.

Which is exactly what l would like to do, but when l try and change that option it does not let me turn off syncing to the Live Desktop only to other PC/Laptops in my Mesh.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:35 AM
  • So as Ken mentioned earlier this appears to be a bug. Please report it on Connect and submit your logs.

Since the files aren't counted to your quota nor to your friend's quota (as it seems) I wouldn't be too worried about this. But please still report it on Connect.
    • Marked as answer by Ben [Live Mesh] Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:44 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by g00ner Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by g00ner Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:44 AM