I want 4 separate drive and letters on my home server RRS feed

• Question

• I want 4 separate drives and drive letters on my home server i made a bad move hear, i was going for a qnap.

I thought all nas/servers gave you the option of separate drives or 1 big drive or things inbetween.

I have not yet got it delivered and i'm thinking of putting it on ebay before I have even opened it.

I have to have all drives separate.

I have also got 4 2tb drives that I have already have hear now.

Is there any way to keep the drives separate within windows home server.

I don't want any back-up i have separate USB drives for that.

I just want alot of storage.

Looks like I should of gone for a 2nd 2bay qnap.

Have I read wrong' or dose the new 2011 Windows home server have separate drive letters for each drive.

If so i will get a copy of the new WHS this looks like it going to be expensive.

I thought i was saving money with a 4 drive unit.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:15 AM

All replies

• You should be able to use all 4 drives as separate letters.  Just add the disks like you normally would, and use the move folder wizard in the dashboard to assign shared folders to whichever drive you want.
    D.W.
    • Proposed as answer by dlwilliams12 Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:55 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Thank You Very Much.

I was In a bit of a tiss about this and I haven't even got it yet.

So I'm going to use it no matter what now but I'm glad you replied to my post (dlwilliams12).

I'm going to see if I can buy the vga mouse keyboard debug header card, just have to find out where to get it from.

I have seen the HP media vault has 1 hand built thats so called works with the easystore.

So if I get any problems I at least then can use it as a normal PC and fix whatever goes wrong.

But all that abit later, it comes on wednesday 30th March. Can't wait, my qnap ts-210 is very slow moving files.

From what I have read w-h-s and the acer easystore is quite fast with moving files to and from it.

So Thanks 

Bye for now (Si).

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:20 AM
  • I'm new to this forum i'm not sure how to vote as helpfull.

I will look around the forum and vote as quick and helpfull.

I'm not sure what version of W-H-S comes with this device yet but it is'nt going to be the new W-H-S 2011.

I have read that Microsoft have doped the storage pool in favour of the copy folder as drives have gotten so big now.

So when I get it and from what i'm thinking v2 of W-H-S will I still be able to keep my separate drive and drive letters eg  not pooled together.

I can put the beta W-H-S 2011 on the box when I get it but I won't be able to keep it and I have no idea when i can buy it and how much it will cost. 

Thanks again.

Bye for now (Si).

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:33 AM