How to re-activate Windows 7 Ultimate UPGRADE after replacing old motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• How to re-activate Windows 7 Ultimate UPGRADE after replacing old motherboard

As per Microsoft I ran sysprep with the “Out of box experience” switch, prior to replacing my old motherboard.  After replacing the hardware and booting up, I attempted to activate my windows.  It refused to re-activate, so I contacted Microsoft support.  They told me that after running sysprep and replacing the motherboard that the OS clears the previous XP product key I used to upgrade to Windows 7. They told me I’d have to wipe my HD, reinstall XP, and re-install Windows-7 Upgrade.

I used sysprep instead of just swapping out the mobo, because, I first attempted all this without sysprep and the sata and mobo drivers would not boot.  Running sysprep allows Windows to reload basic drivers and boot the OS.

I have way too many apps and files to do a wipe and start over.  It seems it should be simple to re-introduce the XP product Key, enter my Windows-7 Upgrade key, and re-activate my OS.  Maybe inserting the XP product key into the registry file.  Then start the activation of windows 7 by typing in my windows 7 Upgrade key and activate.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Thank you!

Saturday, September 5, 2015 9:59 PM

Answers