Exporting Activites from CRM 2011 Online RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to export Emails from CRM 2011? I exported them as activities but having problems with this:

• Excel is giving me Cell Too Large errors
    • this does not give me the TO and FROM fields
    • The body of the message is in what appears to be a proprietary format. 
    • Is there a way to export more than 10,000 records? I found ways to do this for offline versions of Dynamics but nothing short of using the SDK for Online. 

NOTE: I'm a Dynamics novice, just doing a migration to another CRM and finding it very difficult to get the desired data out of Dynamics while maintaining relationships. It would be super nice if there was a way to get some sort of SQL dump but that doesn't seem to be possible. 

Thanks! 

Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:18 PM

Answers

• If you want all your data, ask Microsoft for it as a single export. Pulling data out via Excel export is like pulling teeth - painful, time consuming and ultimately quite expensive.

Even getting it out as a SQL database does not make emails much better to deal with for data migration - the body of an email can be in all sorts of formats, including plain text, HTML and even TNEF (Outlook "rich text" format). The To and From may be handled via activity parties, not sure if/how in the SQL you can these back to the actual originating email addresses used to resolve them to records, but you may not need to if the new system has a similar method of joining activities to other records.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

• Marked as answer by Andrew Styles Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:24 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:45 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a common problem. Depending on what CRM you're migrating to, you may want to check out these guys: Starfish ETL. They have a lot of maps already built to save you the trouble...
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:43 PM
  • If you want all your data, ask Microsoft for it as a single export. Pulling data out via Excel export is like pulling teeth - painful, time consuming and ultimately quite expensive.

Even getting it out as a SQL database does not make emails much better to deal with for data migration - the body of an email can be in all sorts of formats, including plain text, HTML and even TNEF (Outlook "rich text" format). The To and From may be handled via activity parties, not sure if/how in the SQL you can these back to the actual originating email addresses used to resolve them to records, but you may not need to if the new system has a similar method of joining activities to other records.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    Blog: Getting IT Right

• Marked as answer by Andrew Styles Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:24 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Thanks! 

I created a case to get a DB dump. I don't mind writing scripts to get everything linked up in the new CRM, my biggest issue now is access to the data. 

Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:27 PM