OneCare Does Not Backup Entire My Documents Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I backup my entire My Documents folder with a full backup.  After OneCare was upgrade to version 2, the size of my full backup decreased by 2.0 GB.  If I check the size of my d:\documents and settings\my name\my documents, the size of all of the files and folders is 5.10 GB.  The OneCare Backup Configuration is set up to "Backup All File Types", and the "Exclude folders or files" is set to exclude everything except the folder d:\documents and settings\my name\my documents.  OneCare calculates a backup size of 3.1 GB.  The OneCare backup size of 3.1 GB is much lower than the 5.1 GB actual size of my "My Documents" folder.  What file types are not included in the OneCare backup?  What accounts for the 2.0 GB difference in size?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:10 AM

Answers

• Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP

The size difference is most certainly due to the inclusion of any of the above file types in your \My Documents folder plus (more likely) the compression used by OneCare backup.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:44 AM

All replies

• perhaps it is because OneCare compresses the files? also, OneCare does not backup all file types. hope that helps.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP

The size difference is most certainly due to the inclusion of any of the above file types in your \My Documents folder plus (more likely) the compression used by OneCare backup.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:44 AM