Mac Users - Exclude Library/Application Support/Live Mesh from Time Machine Backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• Shortly after I installed Live Mesh on my MacBook Pro, I noticed that Time Machine was running for a really long time for each backup. After a little digging, I found that it was backing up tens of thousands of files from the Library/Application Support/Live Mesh/HashManager folder. These files are 4KB each, so the size of the backup wasn't the problem, but I now have 35,191 of them after less than a week of use, so they really tie up Time Machine. So, just add the entire Live Mesh folder to the backup exclusion list.

Does anyone know what these files are and if they can safely be deleted?

Sean
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:08 PM

All replies

• I believe these are used to store hashes of changes - as soon as I make a change to a file, 2 files pop up there.

That said, the folder seems to be routinely cleaned out, since I've made a lot of changes to mesh files and the directory only has 2 files (from a change I made just now to test it).

I'd try moving the files away to another directory (after verifying that your files are all safe and sound in the mesh) and seeing what happens.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 2:24 AM