Effect on existing user accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• I have existing local user accounts set up on two home PC's.  One account is on both PC's, the other two accounts are specific to each PC.  How will WHS affect these accounts with respect to user preferences, favorites, e-mail, etc. if I set up the WHS user accounts with the same username and password?  Oh yeah, one PC is Vista Ultimate, one is XP Pro.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:06 AM

Answers

•  Hurricane Andrew wrote:
    I have existing local user accounts set up on two home PC's. One account is on both PC's, the other two accounts are specific to each PC. How will WHS affect these accounts with respect to user preferences, favorites, e-mail, etc. if I set up the WHS user accounts with the same username and password? Oh yeah, one PC is Vista Ultimate, one is XP Pro.

WHS doesn't affect these accounts at all. It's not going to change anything about the user profiles. If the user accounts on the home computers match accounts on the WHS, then those users will have a more seamless experience with using WHS. If they don't match, I would expect that users will be prompted for user id and password when they access shares.

--
    Ken
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:23 AM

All replies

•  Hurricane Andrew wrote:
    I have existing local user accounts set up on two home PC's. One account is on both PC's, the other two accounts are specific to each PC. How will WHS affect these accounts with respect to user preferences, favorites, e-mail, etc. if I set up the WHS user accounts with the same username and password? Oh yeah, one PC is Vista Ultimate, one is XP Pro.

WHS doesn't affect these accounts at all. It's not going to change anything about the user profiles. If the user accounts on the home computers match accounts on the WHS, then those users will have a more seamless experience with using WHS. If they don't match, I would expect that users will be prompted for user id and password when they access shares.

--
    Ken
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Thanks again.  I don't want to confuse my wife too much after throwing Office 2007 and Vista at her the past couple of months
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:01 AM
  • haha, I just updated my wifes XP to IE7, that was not a good idea... I am still getting an earfull on that!

It would make sense to have both user profiles with the same username and password.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:06 AM
  • There is one thing I noticed. WHS requires a 5 character password. If, like me, you didn't have passworded user accounts, WHS will prompt the users accounts that were setup to change the password to the one that matches the user account on the WHS.. if ya follow.

So, you setup a user account, we'll say John with a password of Smith on WHS. However, the John account on the 2 WinXP PC's have blank passwords (no prompt to login, just click on the User at the login screen). When you setup the Connect software on the WinXP PC's it will prompt for your current credentials.

You have the option to keep your current (in this case blank) password, but then will be prompted, I'd guess, each time you wanted to access a share on the WHS. Or you can change the password to match the password on the WHS. The change password screen is a bit confusing though if you don't read it.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:23 PM