Reinstallation - routine procedure? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

would like some reaction from you gurus on what seems a good practice. I have using WHS for over a year now for back-up and multimedia purposes. Although pleased with the concept, I must say that I have never had so much "finger problems" with any IT equipment over the years. The WHS lives its life more or less on its own and the lack of control over it makes it hard to exacly know what is going on.

Be that as it may - seeding wind and harvesting storm? - reinstallation from time to time is now going to my remedy for gradual deterioration, abrupt restarts, warnings and errors in event viewer etc. Have for instance spend hours on reading and experimenting to get rid of printer traces after a deinstall - and gave up.

Did a reinstall in the weekend, there is really nothing to it, and I experience a totally new situation. Took some hours, but the Sunday newspaper is to be read anyway.

This post takes more the form or sharing than asking, so let me finish with one: Anyone see any reasons why e reinstall should not be done, say bi-yearly, as a profylactic precaution?

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:49 AM

All replies

• My prodcution server has been running for nearly two years without issues or reinstall. If there's no hardware problems and you are not tinkering with the server too much there's no need for regular reinstall. If you're installing lot's of Add-ins or, worse, third party software an occasional reinstall is a great way to fix lot's of issues, at least if you have no hardware issues.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

I do regular reinstalls on my test system as I always test add-ins etc there. I think that is good practice - just wish I could script it somehow!

However, a productive system should have the root cause of problems investigated and cured in my view. A reinstall is not a "fix" except in exceptional circumstances

Just my €2 worth

Sam

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Like brubber, my production system has been running for years with no issues. My test system gets flattened pretty regularly. The difference between the two is that I don't install software or add-ins on my production server, and I do a lot of testing to destruction on the test system.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 10, 2010 12:48 PM