none
What determines whan a forum question is 'answered' (green check mark)? RRS feed

• Question

• Just curious about this.  I thought the original poster would decide whether or not a question was answered, but that does not seem to be the case in these forums.  Does a moderator decide?  If so, on what basis?
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:29 PM

Answers

• Yes, its true that the original question asker marks a post as answer but there are so many cases when a new user does not know when and how to mark a post as answer plus there are so many threads out there which were answered correctly but the person who asked that question never returned to these forums to  mark it as answer.

So i think for these and many more reasons a forum moderator was give the authority to  mark a post as answer which they think is a correct answer.

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    • Marked as answer by amercer Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:35 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:55 PM
  • And if the original poster disagrees with a moderator's marking the question as answered, he are she can unmark it.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Yes, its true that the original question asker marks a post as answer but there are so many cases when a new user does not know when and how to mark a post as answer plus there are so many threads out there which were answered correctly but the person who asked that question never returned to these forums to  mark it as answer.

So i think for these and many more reasons a forum moderator was give the authority to  mark a post as answer which they think is a correct answer.

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:55 PM
  • And if the original poster disagrees with a moderator's marking the question as answered, he are she can unmark it.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:28 PM
  • > And if the original poster disagrees with a moderator's marking the question as answered, he are she can unmark it

Not that many do. Most often people complain in the thread that a post that wasn't an answer was marked as an answer ...   A little education in forum usage would sometimes go a long way.

(I lock threads where the OP has either marked an answer himself or has said something answered his question. I do that to distinquish between really answered threads and threads that are marked as being answered despite the OP not saying/indicating so. [Also to stop new questions; thread spread etc.])

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:02 PM