Cannot download content for offline viewing RRS feed

• Question

• The server seems to back up again as of 19:36 UK time but I still cannot download any content for offline viewing.

Problem is as follows.

I get the error message "Error requesting file "http://offline.microsoftelearning.com/ek_content/global/splash/assets/CVS/Tag'. HTTP/1.1 404 Not found returned from remote server" partway through download of any course material for offline viewing (even just a module introduction).
    Attempting to retry 
    throws up the same alarm almost immediately.

The only solution is to stop the download, sign out of learning manager, exit IE, uninstall and then reinstall the offline viewer, restart IE & sign back in & repeat the download request.
    However, this only postpones the inevitable because the download again halts with the same message about halfway through.

Synchronisation works ok but there's not much point in that as I haven't got anything downloaded yet.

I'm running XP Pro, with SP3 and automatic updates on, from a laptop with 256MB of ram and adequate free hard drive space (about 1GB out of a 4GB drive).
    I have Avast antivirus running and the Windows firewall is enabled.

I'm connecting via my hotel's "high speed" internet service but am only getting between 2 & 14KB/s download speed.

I've already looked at the help pages recommended to another poster but they just give the instructions that I already have for downloading and give no explanation how to overcome the problem.

I've already tried clearing cookies & cached files with no effect.

I need to sort this problem out because the slow speed and high price of this connection is making study here impractical. I had intended to complete all of the online material while here but am not sure now whether I can afford it with the amount of online time that I am wasting in failed downloads.

This problem is having a serious detrimental effect on my already overdue study schedule!

Thankyou in advance
    Simon A. Kindon

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:55 PM

All replies

• It has been brought to my attention that there were indeed problems with the offline viewer the past few days.  I have received word from the team that supports the offline viewer that these issues were addressed as of this morning.

If you are still having problems, please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I will put you in touch with the team that supports this offline player.

Thanks!
    Alicia 
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I'd have a little more confidence in your response Alicia if the whole elearning server was not down again as of 08:24 GMT today.

I attempted to login this morning at about 06:30 GMT, having successfully accessed this forum, to find the server slow to respond to login, apparently ignoring my clicking of the Sign In button and not updating the screen. Subsequent attempts after shutting down & restarting produced 1st the same results and then standard error pages indicating that the page requested cannot be displayed.

I can e-mail you the exact screens if required.

I've had no problems since, accessing other websites including my company's ftp site, mail server & vpn so there's nothing wrong at my end. Obviously, I can also access this forum.

This extremely poor service is costing me a great deal of money in internet charges and is wasting my precious study time (to date, due to problems with the offline viewer and overall server failures has cost me two days at a total cost in accommodation, food other essentials & internet charges of £450. If I also included the cost of my time, at the rates that my company normally charges, it would be nearer £1500).

Should I send the bill to Microsoft?

Incidentally, the Ajax spell-checker used on this forum needs updating. It does not recognise common internet terms such as 'vpn', 'GMT' 'ftp' or even 'Microsoft'.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Hi SimonK999--

What URL are you accessing when you mention the site being down?  That will help me determine where to point you for support. 

I am very sorry that this has caused you the problems it has.  Please do contact me as indicated with screenshots and this will help to further investigate this.

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Be Glad to Alicia.

Can I add screenshots to these forum posts? I've tried pasting screen-dumps using <PrtSc> & <Ctrl> + <V> but that doesn't seem to work.
    I'll e-mail them to the address that you've mentioned on some of your posts.

URL that I'm using for the main elearning server is https://www.microsoftelearning.com/.

This came on-line again, just after my last post, at approx. 08:48 GMT (my method of access was exactly the same as previous - a desktop shortcut with IE6 already running and at the forum site. but I was still unable to download any content for offline viewing - exactly the same failure with the same error message, part way through the content download (the setup download seems to go through ok).

Expect my e-mail shortly.

Regards
    Simon

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:57 AM
  • Thanks Simon--

You can't add screenshots to the forums with the current version but it is on the radar to be included in a future version of the forums.  For now, you can send to me in email.

The url you mention is not maintained or owned by my team.  As such is the case, I will be pointing you in the right direction to obtain te necessary support needed to the problems you are facing when you email me.

My team owns the http://learning.microsoft.com platform which links to the site https://www.microsoftelearning.com.

I am going to go get some sleep (it's 3:00 a.m. here) but will respond when I am in the office in the morning.

I hope that works for you.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:04 AM
  • Thanks for that Alicia.

Email(s) are already on their way (I had a few problems attaching the screenshots to my webmail as well). I hope that you'll have time to respond before I leave Salalah on Friday.

If I can make one suggestion, rather than criticism:

If your department is not responsible for the sites/URLs that I'm using to access my course material, perhaps someone responsible for those sites could also monitor this forum and post useful replies.

I've noticed a number of other posters asking similar questions about the elearning site &, particularly, offline download problems. In each case, you have advised them that your department does not handle these problems and have asked them to e-mail you to get contact details for the department that is responsible.
    It would save so much time if someone with appropriate knowledge could respond directly to queries here.
    Alternatively, set up another forum specifically for problems with the elearning site and simply refer posters here to that forum instead.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi again Alicia

thought I'd put this on the forum, rather than an e-mail, so that everyone who has encountered similar problems can see it.

ref your reply to the mail that you asked me to send on the above problem (I've blanked out the phone numbers that you supplied, as you don't seem to want them shared with anyone else who might need similar help - Why not?)

Your reply:

"HI Simon--

Wow, thanks for all of the great detailed information regarding this issue. I am not sure if you are international or not in terms of location so I'll provide both numbers for you:

Please do not post this phone number externally. You can call XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about this issue and they should be able to help you. If that doesn't work,

You can call International Phone Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Let me know if that doesn't work for you and please feel free to use my name if need be.

Thanks-

Alicia Cales

Program Manager

Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services"

-----Original Message-----

From: simon.kindon@ntlworld.com [mailto:simon.kindon@ntlworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:20 AM

To: Learning Manager Support

Subject: forum post - offline download problems - again1

Hi again Alicia.

Screenshots attached.

The timestamped one shows what IE returned when I attempted to access the elearning server for the third time this morning. Previously responses had been sluggish, refusing to let me press the sign in button or access "my learning".

Having exited IE totally and tried again, got the page shown.

I'm accessing the URL https://www.microsoftelearning.com/ from a desktop shortcut, with IE already open & pointing to the elearning forum.

Just after updating my forum post, I tried again and got straight in with the same method. Inbetween I'd repeatedly accessed several connection intesive sites, including my company's webmail server & vpn connection without problems.

Having got back onto the site and done about an hour's online study, I again attempted to do a download for offline study (you'd mentioned in one of your reply posts that recent problems with the offline system had been identified & resolved).

I got exactly the same problem as I've had since my first attempt a couple of days ago. The two "download attempt" stage jpegs show this.

I'll recap my procedure for clarity.

First I exited The elearning site and IE.

Then removed the offline viewer using Add or remove Applications (if I attempt to download after a previous failure, I immediately get the failure instead of partway through the download (see "offline error message.jpg").

I use Disk cleanup to clear my cached pages & cookies etc &generate more free HDD space (currently 1GB).

I reinstall the offline viewer using the setup file downloaded several days ago (the elearning site will not allow downloading to occur until this app is installed locally).

I access the elearning site as described above, sign in using my .net passport account and navigate to my course material (Exam 70-270).

I select only the module outline (tick the checkbox to the right) and navigate down to the "download selected" button. Clicking this begins the download process. Incidentally, why does such a small section of the course matrerial require a 15.8MB download? Shouldn't it be heavily compressed as with Adobe's current version reader download?

The two screenshots already mentioned show the results that I get every time.

One thing that I noticed and don't understand is that the error reports that it can't find something at "http://offline.microsoft.com. I tried accessing this URL directly and found that the offline viewer launched. This suggests that the download process is trying to find something on my hard-drive that it has either already downloaded or is the process of downloading.

Does this suggest that the remote site is being blocked from accessing something already downloaded? Does IE or my firewall require some configuration changes; the html instructions file supplied with the offline viewer make no mention of this.

If it's any further help, I'm working from an Acer laptop with the following spec.: P3 586MHz processor 256MB Sodimm ram 4.86GB 4200rpm 2.5" IDE HDD with approx 1GB free space.

Internet connection is via a 100Mb/s integrated network adaptor connected via a 100Mb/s connection to the hotel's shared internet portal. The portal is quite slow (so far download speeds are reported by the system as around 14-15KB/s max)

I'm running XP Pro in its default configuration with Windows firewall enabled and automatic updates applied.

I'm running the default browser (IE6)

Security is default Internet & privacy is set to medium.

Popup blocking is turned off to allow connection through the hotel's service.

I have Avast antivirus installed - this provides no additional firewall capability.

I'd appreciate any help that you can offer on this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Simon

After I went to all the trouble of detailing the exact problem, including screenshots, and gave you the full spec of my system, all you could do was ask me to repeat it all again, by phone, to someone in the states?
    I'd already explained that I was stuck in a 5 star hotel in Oman. From this you might infer that an international call would be very expensive as well (about £6 sterling per minute, as it happens). I

Why didn't you just forward my e-mail to one of those knowledgeable people on the other end of those phone lines and ask them to e-mail their solutions &/or questions back to me direct?

As a result of this wholly unsatisfactory response, I gave up on trying to get any resolution to my download problem and continued working online at the very slow rate provided by the hotel's internet service. Result - I only completed half of the study goal that I set myself and spent a great deal of money in internet charges getting that far.

I'm now back at home in the UK and thought I'd try downloading again, this time to my main system.

Guess what? Same problem.

Main system spec:
    P4 2.8GHz with 512MB of ram
    40GB HDD with about 1.58GB free space.
    XP Pro SP2 with automatic updates applied.
    IE7 with Google toolbar installed
    Avast free home edition V4.8 antivirus running
    Zone Alarm basic personal firewall V7.08.483.00 + Zone alarm spyware blocker

Internet connection is via 100Mbps network to a cable modem provided by NTL/virgin. Cable connection is at least 1Mbps and my average download speed seems to be around 75Kbps.

Please refer to my original e-mail for screenshots as the error message is exactly the same.

Please forward this post, or my original e-mail to someone who can actually help resolve the problem.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Simon-

As mentioned in many of my posts, I cannot help resolve issues on the http://microsoftelearning.com site.  My team does not own that site nor the content hosted on the site.  These forums were set up to support the Learning Platform which is at http://learning.microsoft.com.  There are several customers who are reporting problems with other learning sites tied to the learning platform and I am simply trying to help redirect the users to the correct sites.  We have had this process since April of this year and it has worked well.   I set it up this way to protect each and everyone's personal information as well as make sure cusotmers are routed correctly based on their issue.  

I will call up the team who supports this site and ask them to contact you directly assuming we have all of you contact information.

I am sorry that you have not found my support to be helpful to you but I will mention that I am going above and beyond to help each and everyone of you who has a learning problem regardless of the site it falls on.       

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Thanks!
    Alicia

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:56 PM
  • hi, i was having the same problem , i was not able  to download the Course, then i shefted to onther computer which is connected to another ISP ,then download was success.

so ,try if it works;
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:37 AM