firewall log RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me what this message in my firewall log means ?

The following request was blocked:

Full Application Path: Unknown
    Version: Unknown
    Local Computer: 192.*** ****

224.0.0.22:0

Protocol Name: IGMP

Protocol Number: 2
    Traffic Direction: Outbound

i keep getting it.  i know its blocked but im wondering what it means ?

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• Since the firewall blocked the IGMP request coming from your PC heading outbound, no, you are not under attack. Some program on your PC is attempting to use IGMP to contact a server or device or is looking to see if there is anything listening for the IGMP request on the network. The first IP address, is you local address. The 204.0.0.22 address is the address of the multi-cast server. You can have a look at this thread - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9627471 for some more information about it. It is likely benign, but some unknown program or process, is making this request.

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:24 PM

All replies

• Monday, July 7, 2008 3:15 PM
  • ok at the risk of sounding stupid iam new to computers .... does it mean im under attack ?

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I'm not new to computers and I'm not entirely sure of what it means but I think this is a part of normal communication between a computer and a router and a computer and a network. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this protocol can add to this conversation.

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Since the firewall blocked the IGMP request coming from your PC heading outbound, no, you are not under attack. Some program on your PC is attempting to use IGMP to contact a server or device or is looking to see if there is anything listening for the IGMP request on the network. The first IP address, is you local address. The 204.0.0.22 address is the address of the multi-cast server. You can have a look at this thread - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9627471 for some more information about it. It is likely benign, but some unknown program or process, is making this request.

-steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:24 PM