How to synch file from multiple clients to a main server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I am having the following issue:

I have a central server (AKA server) and about 60 remote clients. The server holds a huge file storage (millions of files and folders)

The Clients creates files and stores them locally in the same structure of folders localy. Once in about an hour i want these clietns to upload the files to the server. (one way only)

The problemns I am, facing are:

1. Since the server data is huge the metadata synch file is also huge and every request to the server takkes alot of time.

2. I want the server to hold only one metadata file - is this possible? Each client will have a single file and so does the server.

3. Is it necessary for the server to hold a metadata file at all? Can i configure my code to make sure only the client has these files?

4. I  REad there is a contructor for the provider that specifies the path of the client metadata file. How does it help?

Thanks

Pini
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• 2. - its possible, but you may run into sharing violation when multiple clients synchronize and access the single, server-based metadata file.

3. - you can configure the server metadata file to reside on the client

5.  - there is constructor that allows you to specify both local and server metadata file.

check out this thread as well: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/syncdevdiscussions/thread/6650ef1d-d0b2-4d4f-b88f-6afa80940b22

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply

More questions if I may:

I still dont understand the entrie working process for the synchrionization:

1. If the clients only uploading files to the server why do the server have to hold a metadata file?

2. You mentioned the server metadata file can be stored in the client location? How does it helps?

3. In each synchronization session (lets say every hour) - does the server regenrates his metadata file over and over?

Pini
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Or let me ask this in another way: What is the best way to perform a good practice to the following scenario: 60 client computers initialize a synchronization. They need to upload files only. The server has a huge amout of file such that the metadatafile that will be created will be about 200MB. Obviously we cannot agree that : 1. this file will be generated for each synch 2. be transfered to the clients in the netwrok. As you alreay told me i can make the server metadata file be located at the client computer. But this still a huge problem since this while will be recreated on every synch request and this will take a lot of time Any ideas :-)?
    Pini
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:43 PM