none
Genuine Vista Product Code, but not same as on COA. RRS feed

• Question

• Just ran the MS Windows Validation Tool which says my Vista Prod Code is Genuine.

However, it does not match the one on my COA on my laptop, but it does match the one displayed in Windows System, which, by the way reports that Activation was Successful.

What's up with that?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:29 AM

Answers

• Product ID is something like an encrypted form of your product key.  It's safe to send it around and it's good for troubleshooting because we can get information on this end about your activation and validation attempts from your product ID without you risking someone else using your product key--which you shouldn't send around.

The reason the product key you're seeing in the WGA tool is different than the one on your COA may be because your OEM might ship it's computers with one key and gives you the key on the COA as a backup in case you have to reactivate.  I'm not terribly certain, as this forum is dedicated to validation issues so only validation issues are my purview.  In other words, by no means should you take that as the official word from Microsoft.  Wink

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:27 AM

All replies

• When I ran the WGA Tool, it reported my product was Genuine. It displayed a portion of a Product Key plus the OS Product Code.

What is the difference between the Product Key and the Product Code, and where can the Prod Key be located on my laptop?

I thought the Product Code & the Product Key were one and the same, which is printed on the COA. 

Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Can you give me an example of what you mean by Product Code?  Your product key should be on your COA.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

When I referred to the Product Code above, I was actually speaking of the Product ID. Sorry for the confusion.

The WGA Tool lists part of the Product Key & a Product ID. None of the characters in the Product Key match any of those in the Product Key on my COA, but the Tool says that Vista validation is Genuine.

The Product ID given by the Tool matches exactly the Product ID in my Windows Vista's Control Panel>System, which shows "Windows is Activated", with the Product ID number appearing just below that. This is not the same as the Product Key found on the COA.

The Product ID is a 20 character number in the following format; XXXXX-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX. The "OEM" characters are there to indicate the computer came with Vista installed by the manufacturer, HP. No OS discs came with the computer.

HPSupport says the 2 numbers are different, the Product Key for the COA, and the other for Windows Product ID.

I still don't understand the need for 2 different numbers that apparently have something to do with Windows Activation and validation.

Please explain.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Product ID is something like an encrypted form of your product key.  It's safe to send it around and it's good for troubleshooting because we can get information on this end about your activation and validation attempts from your product ID without you risking someone else using your product key--which you shouldn't send around.

The reason the product key you're seeing in the WGA tool is different than the one on your COA may be because your OEM might ship it's computers with one key and gives you the key on the COA as a backup in case you have to reactivate.  I'm not terribly certain, as this forum is dedicated to validation issues so only validation issues are my purview.  In other words, by no means should you take that as the official word from Microsoft.  Wink

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:27 AM