HttpWebRequest: async vs synchronous on Threadpool thread RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

for use on vanilla Windows7 systems (.Net 4.0) I still use my own Http Library, which is built around the Httpwebrequest and includes synchronchronous and asynchronous functions for different mime-types, as well as JSON and XML support.

By now I use .BeginGetRequest and .BegitGetResponse for the async calls, but extending the library blows up the code and makes it more and more complex. As an alternative I have considered wrapping the existing sync versions transparently into a delegate wrapper and executing it on a threadpool thread (example below).

As I see it, advantages would be:

• simpler exception handling (around .endinvoke)
    • more transparent and failsafe code
    • simple implementation of Timeout and ReadTimeout (which is a bit of a pain in the async version)
    • requests are created on the threadpool thread as well (slight ramp up)

Question: can you suggest any disadvantages going this way (performance, scaling, resources) ? Or a better way of doing it ?

A potential issue might be, that I am blocking a full threadpool thread, instead of using IO/blocking mechanisms.

Any answers / explanations / references for further reading would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I'm using the Httpclient for  the .Net 4.5 framework

Code examples:

''' <summary>Executes as synchronous GET request and returns string result</summary>
            Public Function GetSync(url As String) As String
                ' create GET request
                Dim request = DirectCast(Net.WebRequest.Create(url), HttpWebRequest)
                request.Method = "GET"
                ' fetch result
                Dim response = DirectCast(request.GetResponse(), HttpWebResponse)
                Using responsestream = response.GetResponseStream, reader = New IO.StreamReader(responsestream)
                    Return reader.ReadToEnd()
                End Using
            End Function

''' <summary>Executes an async GET request and directs result to user defined callback</summary>
            Public Sub GetAsync(url As String, resultCallback As Action(Of String))
                ' create GET request
                request.Method = "GET"
                ' send async request
                request.BeginGetResponse(New AsyncCallback( _
                        Sub(iar As IAsyncResult)
                            'Dim result = DirectCast(iar.AsyncState, AsyncResult)
                            Using webResponse As HttpWebResponse = DirectCast(request.EndGetResponse(iar), HttpWebResponse), _
                                 responsestream = webResponse.GetResponseStream, reader = New IO.StreamReader(responsestream)
                                resultCallback(reader.ReadToEnd())
                            End Using
                        End Sub), Nothing)
            End Sub

''' <summary>Executes a synchronous GET request on a threadpool thread and directs result to user defined callback</summary>
            Public Sub GetAsyncWrapped(url As String, resultCallback As Action(Of String))
                ' define wrapper delegate
                Dim worker = New Action( _
                        Sub()
                            request.Method = "GET"
                            resultCallback(GetSync(url))
                        End Sub)
                ' run it async on a threadpool thread
                worker.BeginInvoke(New AsyncCallback( _
                        Sub(iar As IAsyncResult)
                            worker.EndInvoke(DirectCast(iar, AsyncResult))
                        End Sub), Nothing)
            End Sub
    To explain the question I used simple versions with lambda expressions.

• Edited by Frank Rossler Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:25 PM
    • Moved by Carl Cai Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:12 AM if post it in asp.net forum will get better support
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum.

You are more likely to get more efficient responses to ASP.NET issues at http://forums.asp.net where you can contact ASP.NET experts, since this issue is most related to web.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Monday, October 7, 2013 2:51 PM
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:12 AM