none
Replacing system disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Few questions...

1. I have a 1.5 TB drive as my system drive yet I notice practically no space is used. Is this because a system drive doesn't also contain actual data (the data found in the shares)? I have 4 other drives and they all have large chunks of space used up. So, I was wondering if I should replace the system drive with a much smaller drive, say 500gb and then set the old system drive (after reformatting it) to the data set.

2. If I replace the system drive, do I need to have duplication enabled? I don't right now and don't want to if I don't need to. So all I'd do is ghost it and restore the ghost image onto the new 500 GB drive.

Any thoughts?

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:50 PM

All replies

• How long have you been running your server? Maybe give it a few more months of use and things will be different.  Also how are you seeing that the system drive is not in use?

It's probably best left as is.  What happens if you lose a drive and you need that extra space to move data with duplication still on?

The system drive is divided into 20GB for the OS and then the rest is in the stroage pool.  Over time Windows Home Sever will start to use the data section on the system drive.

2.  If you replace the system drive without turning on duplication then you will loss some files, and possibly backups.  Though you can do a Ghost image depending on how you use Ghost it may or may not work.  The supported way is to turn on duplication, optionaly backup your backup database, replace the drive and perform a server recovery.

There are some FAQs on this - this one is a bit old (talks of a 10GB system partition rather than 20GB but it still applies):

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsfaq/thread/cdb387f1-9baa-4ae3-a74b-ff351dc1c0bf

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1I7GGLD_en&q=replace+system+drive+FAQ+site%3Asocial.microsoft.com+%22Windows+Home+Server%22&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

--
    Friday, March 26, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Hi all,

Few questions...

1. I have a 1.5 TB drive as my system drive yet I notice practically no space is used. Is this because a system drive doesn't also contain actual data (the data found in the shares)?

The primary drive is not used for data storage until all of the secondary drives are nearly full.

I have 4 other drives and they all have large chunks of space used up. So, I was wondering if I should replace the system drive with a much smaller drive, say 500gb and then set the old system drive (after reformatting it) to the data set.

I would just leave it alone.

2. If I replace the system drive, do I need to have duplication enabled?

You don't have to, but it's probably easier if you do.

I don't right now and don't want to if I don't need to. So all I'd do is ghost it and restore the ghost image onto the new 500 GB drive.

Cloning the primary drive on WHS is not supported.

Any thoughts?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:16 AM