Install WHS 2011 on HP EX495 not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have been referred by Microsoft Answers and then by Windows Server forum which indicated that this might be a more appropriate forum for my question.

I am trying to install WHS 2011 on a HP EX 495. That machine has no DVD drive, no keyboard/mouse, and no video. I created an iso of my installation disk copied it to a USB drive using the Microsoft USB/DVD tool , copied in a cfg.ini file for unattended installation, put in a new clean drive and inseted the USB stick, booted and then nothing happened. The USB drive flashes as if it were being read, but the server never gets to the point where it is given an IP address by the router (Verizon FIOS Actiontec) so it is not possible to pull up a client page off the server to check on the installation.

I have rebuilt the iso a couple of times, used two variations of the config file as per http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2011/04/how-to-install-windows-home-server-2011.html, none of this works for me

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• May double-check the cfg.ini on the USB drive with the original cfg.ini?

After the first installation fase, setup adds/updates a setting "Processed=true"
    With this setting any subsequent installation using the USB drive will fail unless you reset the flag.

- Theo. 

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:23 PM
  • are you using the lower rear usb port?
    -- Free AV for WHS : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, yes that is the port that was being used

Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:14 AM
  • After a bit more poking around on the net, I found a link to how to install using an answer file http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/answer-file-install-2.aspx#BKMK_AnswerFile This is essentially the same as the link cited earlier, but for some reason copying the cfg.ini file in this link worked and the problem was resolved.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Hi, I just installed WHS 2011 on my ex495 but to be honest I was only able to do it via cheating. If you look in some of the WHS 2011 sites there is a link to a person who makes a debugging cable for the HP Ex's series. Believe it or not on the Ex series mainboard there is a debugging port that can display a VGA signal and accepts input from a keyboard and mouse. The last time I bought the debugging cable it was $50 but it saved me alot of time and trouble. Since the answer file method isnt working for you that debugging cable is what I would suggest. The Ex series is rather easy to take apart and there are walk thru's on the net to do it if you google them. The instructions on taking the EX's apart so you can get to the debugging port is the same as the ones to upgrade the RAM. I have experience rebuilding computers so I took my Ex495 apart, connected the debugging cable, and left the front panel off while I installed WHS 2011 then once everything was finally configured turned of the Ex495, removed the cable, then put the front panel back on and put the server back into its corner.
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:52 PM