New backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently use Synctoy 1.4 with a USB disk to backup all the family's user document folder hierarchies (each as a folder pair) from my shared home PC.  However the USB disk is now nearly full so I am planning to get a larger USB disk for these backups.

The question is - when I get the new USB disk (which I assume will mount with the same USB drive letter) can I just create a top level folder for each user in the new backup disk with the same names as on the old one and run the current set of defined folder pairs to populate the new backup disk, or do I have to delete the current folder pairs (and any other synctoy files) and redefine them?

Also, if I upgrade to Synctoy 2.0 would you recommend doing that before or after moving to the new backup disk - or doesn't it make any difference?

Thanks for any reply.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:55 PM

Answers

• Here is what I would do -

1) Bring all data upto date on the old USB drive - so that it is backed up all nicely on one location.

2) Plug in your new USB disk

3) Do a normal upgrade to SyncToy 2.0

4) If your new USB disk got the old drive letter, we will pop a message saying it does not appear that the two folders in each folder pair have synchronized and if can continue by creating metadata on the new folder. However - be sure to create the top level folder on the new disk ( as you rightly point out above).

5) If on the other hand your USB disk gets the old drive letter, you have no other option that to delete the old folder pairs and recreate them.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:26 PM

All replies

• Here is what I would do -

1) Bring all data upto date on the old USB drive - so that it is backed up all nicely on one location.

2) Plug in your new USB disk

3) Do a normal upgrade to SyncToy 2.0

4) If your new USB disk got the old drive letter, we will pop a message saying it does not appear that the two folders in each folder pair have synchronized and if can continue by creating metadata on the new folder. However - be sure to create the top level folder on the new disk ( as you rightly point out above).

5) If on the other hand your USB disk gets the old drive letter, you have no other option that to delete the old folder pairs and recreate them.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Thanks - I'll try that.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:41 PM