Vista Activation Circular Problem 0xC004C4A6 RRS feed

• Question

• I have reached a circular impasse.  Following a hardware failure, I was able to reactivate Vista (OEM upgrade from XP) by phone so that I now have a status of "Activated".  Unfortunately, having run the validation tool, I am also getting a message saying my copy is not genuine (it is, honest!). 

I get directed to a validation page but if I try to re-validate it, it says I must activate it first and I get the 0xC004C4A6 error code on the genuine windows validation page.  Of course it thinks it is already activated so I can't do that - I do not get the option under "properties".

The Microsoft guy who has been helping me sent me a new product key but the "Change Product Key" link on the system page does not work.  Pressing it does nothing.  I have tried turning off UAC (I seemed to be having problems running anything requiring Administrator rights even though I have a "single user" setup) but that doesn't help.

I have spent days in front of my PC following this "upgrade" (the upgrade from XP failed so I had to do a clean install then after I had got everything back working I had problems which were initially diagnosed as a motherboard problem but turned out to be hard drive related so both were replaced, now I have got everything back again but with Vista problems!!) so I really DO NOT want to have to reinstall everything a third time.

Any ideas how I can get this new product key installed without starting all over again.  This is certainly a fundamentally flawed piece of software when the activation process causes so many hassles for genuine users!

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-TM6QX-4M6P9-BG846
    Windows Product Key Hash: vk8kNEZ/mMGawxrM091Qyjw+Qb4=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7301802-68174
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    ID: b6afaf07-b28c-442b-8b94-d4247a1800d8
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-138-80041013_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b6afaf07-b28c-442b-8b94-d4247a1800d8</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BG846</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7301802-68174</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1757981266-1993962763-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7260</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080014 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061020000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F2AA3F07018400F6</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>A0D23E3E3834862</Val><Hash>+jWI/VSvolvCiOw7LJsLQsVSZ84=</Hash><Pid>70141-049-0352263-56632</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, March 30, 2007 6:28 AM

Answers

• Thank for for this suggestion but it seemed that this was simply going around the circle again as I already did this once.  Instead, I spent some time searching on the Internet and I have resolved the problem.  I am posting the solution in the hope it will help others.

As I explained in my original e-mail, I had been given a replacement product key but I couldn't install it - the "Change Product Key" link on the System page didn't work (pressed it and nothing happened).  I came across the solution on this web site:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/28/how-to-change-windows-vista-product-key/

This suggested a Command Mode solution:

To change Windows Vista product key, use the following steps:

Run Elevated Command Prompt with administrator rights or privileges. To do so, locate Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”. You can also type in “command prompt” in Vista instant search, and right click on Command Prompt shortcut and then select “Runas Administrator” to enable administrator credentials. Answer yes to any UAC confirmation. You can also turn off UAC.

In the command prompt window, type the following command:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

Replace <insert your product key here> with the 25-digit Windows Vista product key.

To activate windows after changing the key, run the following command in the command prompt window:

slmgr.vbs -ato

This has worked - I have been able both to activate and validate based on the new product key.

I was very disappointed that the "Microsoft Support Professional" assigned to help me did not suggest it - he had given up and suggested I contact the place I bought the software.  Unbelievable!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:28 PM

All replies

•  

Please try phone activating and then revalidating.

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.

Once you're done you can go back to www.microsoft.com/genuine, click "Validate Windows" and follow the prompts.  After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

Let me know if you run into any problems.  Thank you!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:32 AM
  • i have the exact same problem.
    i cant even get thru 2 a helpful microsoft phone number.
    i am not impressed at all, after paying a kings ransom for the genuine vista ultimate and this happens.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Thank for for this suggestion but it seemed that this was simply going around the circle again as I already did this once.  Instead, I spent some time searching on the Internet and I have resolved the problem.  I am posting the solution in the hope it will help others.

As I explained in my original e-mail, I had been given a replacement product key but I couldn't install it - the "Change Product Key" link on the System page didn't work (pressed it and nothing happened).  I came across the solution on this web site:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/28/how-to-change-windows-vista-product-key/

This suggested a Command Mode solution:

To change Windows Vista product key, use the following steps:

Run Elevated Command Prompt with administrator rights or privileges. To do so, locate Command Prompt icon in Start Menu, right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”. You can also type in “command prompt” in Vista instant search, and right click on Command Prompt shortcut and then select “Runas Administrator” to enable administrator credentials. Answer yes to any UAC confirmation. You can also turn off UAC.

In the command prompt window, type the following command:

slmgr.vbs -ipk <insert your product key here>

Replace <insert your product key here> with the 25-digit Windows Vista product key.

To activate windows after changing the key, run the following command in the command prompt window:

slmgr.vbs -ato

This has worked - I have been able both to activate and validate based on the new product key.

I was very disappointed that the "Microsoft Support Professional" assigned to help me did not suggest it - he had given up and suggested I contact the place I bought the software.  Unbelievable!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 9:28 PM