none
I just got flagged as spam RRS feed

• Question

• I just got flagged as spam! I have been posting here for a few decades and I am fairly well-known in the SQL community (ten books, thousands of trade articles, a decade on ANSI X3H2, etc) Can we fix this? 

--CELKO--

--CELKO-- Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing: Analytics and OLAP in SQL / Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice Data / Measurements and Standards in SQL SQL for Smarties / SQL Programming Style / SQL Puzzles and Answers / Thinking in Sets / Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe

I undeleted the first of the five tries you posted on your previous thread.

You have indeed helped many over the years, for which we are very grateful for your generous time.

Unfortunately, we have to go to extreme measures these days to prevent the deluge of spam and the tactics they use. As I'm sure you appreciate, such established forums as these will have a number of loyal supporters and many automated processes to keep the decks clear. Occasionally bots can be overzealous and passionate people can take offense. I'm sure you know all this anyway.

I'm sure you'll also understand therefore that we have to "fit in" with the policies and triggers that lead to abuse reports and auto-deletes. An intelligent gent as yourself probably knows exactly what I mean, and below is just a general list, and not casting any aspersions on you.

1) Don't promote products in your signature or profile.

2) Don't regularly refer to your products in replies

3) Avoid sarcasm or derogatory comments in replies

And yeh, #3 is extremely hard sometimes. Especially after many years of seeing the same questions over and over... ;)

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Sunday, October 6, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Forums admins finally reported thread restored.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:00 AM
  • I just got flagged as spam! I have been posting here for a few decades and I am fairly well-known in the SQL community (ten books, thousands of trade articles, a decade on ANSI X3H2, etc) Can we fix this? 

--CELKO--

--CELKO-- Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing: Analytics and OLAP in SQL / Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice Data / Measurements and Standards in SQL SQL for Smarties / SQL Programming Style / SQL Puzzles and Answers / Thinking in Sets / Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

Good day CELKO,

First let me say that I am very happy to see this thread and that you come here. It shows only good and might be a changing point.

Yes, you "have been posting here for a few decades and" you are "fairly well-known" and you are well know as abuser in the forums here by many people/Moderators as much as I know. I personally marked your messages more than once as abusive or advertisement or as irrelevant.

In fact, I am pretty sure (actually I am 100% sure but I might mistake in this) that you are way on the top, the number one between all active members with the highest number of messages that were marked as spam! You probably do not even know how many of your messages are marked as spam since you do not see this information, but as moderator I see so many people that ask questions and mark your respond as spam.

There is a lot of internal information which I started to write here and I decided to remove before posting it in public. I would love to give you the information in private, as it does not need to be published in public.

I would love to see you change your approach, and if you want I would love to spend some time to speak directly, explain the issue as I see it, give you some information about what other think and what was already done and decided regarding this (there was a lot in the past several years), and mostly discuss what best approach fit you and the forums members at the same time in order to change this road.

I would love to change my opinion about in the future as well, and if so then change my approach to your messages according to this. It is not like I love to deal with spam or negative approach, or any administrative task. I come to the forums first of all to help people as a pure contribution, and i prefer only to deal with positive and constructive threads. My best reward in the forums is when someone say "thanks" (I prefer forums without points where the communities members make sure that each thread end with thanks or the OP will never get another answer - yes there are places like this😀).

You can contact me on Facebook or linkedin and we can schedule Skype voice chat (or if you go to the Microsoft Ignite we can meet there in person).

To clarify! I do not represent Microsoft but myself and what I see/feel/think, but I think a chat can help in this case a lot.
    (By the way, I can ask one of the owners who familiar with this topic to join the meeting as well - but this is up to him to agree)

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:11 AM

All replies

• Looking at it now.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Hi Joe

I undeleted the first of the five tries you posted on your previous thread.

You have indeed helped many over the years, for which we are very grateful for your generous time.

Unfortunately, we have to go to extreme measures these days to prevent the deluge of spam and the tactics they use. As I'm sure you appreciate, such established forums as these will have a number of loyal supporters and many automated processes to keep the decks clear. Occasionally bots can be overzealous and passionate people can take offense. I'm sure you know all this anyway.

I'm sure you'll also understand therefore that we have to "fit in" with the policies and triggers that lead to abuse reports and auto-deletes. An intelligent gent as yourself probably knows exactly what I mean, and below is just a general list, and not casting any aspersions on you.

And yeh, #3 is extremely hard sometimes. Especially after many years of seeing the same questions over and over... ;)

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL
    Got any nice code? If you invest time in coding an elegant, novel or impressive answer on MSDN forums, why not copy it over to TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from! You'll never get archived again, and you could win weekly awards!

Have you got what it takes to become this month's TechNet Technical Guru? Join a long list of well known community big hitters, show your knowledge and prowess in your favoured technologies!

Sunday, October 6, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Forums admins finally reported thread restored.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:00 AM

--CELKO--

Good day CELKO,

First let me say that I am very happy to see this thread and that you come here. It shows only good and might be a changing point.

Yes, you "have been posting here for a few decades and" you are "fairly well-known" and you are well know as abuser in the forums here by many people/Moderators as much as I know. I personally marked your messages more than once as abusive or advertisement or as irrelevant.

In fact, I am pretty sure (actually I am 100% sure but I might mistake in this) that you are way on the top, the number one between all active members with the highest number of messages that were marked as spam! You probably do not even know how many of your messages are marked as spam since you do not see this information, but as moderator I see so many people that ask questions and mark your respond as spam.

There is a lot of internal information which I started to write here and I decided to remove before posting it in public. I would love to give you the information in private, as it does not need to be published in public.

I would love to see you change your approach, and if you want I would love to spend some time to speak directly, explain the issue as I see it, give you some information about what other think and what was already done and decided regarding this (there was a lot in the past several years), and mostly discuss what best approach fit you and the forums members at the same time in order to change this road.

I would love to change my opinion about in the future as well, and if so then change my approach to your messages according to this. It is not like I love to deal with spam or negative approach, or any administrative task. I come to the forums first of all to help people as a pure contribution, and i prefer only to deal with positive and constructive threads. My best reward in the forums is when someone say "thanks" (I prefer forums without points where the communities members make sure that each thread end with thanks or the OP will never get another answer - yes there are places like this😀).

You can contact me on Facebook or linkedin and we can schedule Skype voice chat (or if you go to the Microsoft Ignite we can meet there in person).

To clarify! I do not represent Microsoft but myself and what I see/feel/think, but I think a chat can help in this case a lot.
    (By the way, I can ask one of the owners who familiar with this topic to join the meeting as well - but this is up to him to agree)

signature   Ronen Ariely

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:11 AM
  • I sent the link to this thread on skype to one of the owners, which familiar with the topic (again, owner means Microsoft employee who is in-charge on the Moderators).
    I think he should look at this thread :-)

signature   Ronen Ariely

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:38 AM

• I'm sure you'll also understand therefore that we have to "fit in" with the policies and triggers that lead to abuse reports and auto-deletes. An intelligent gent as yourself probably knows exactly what I mean, and below is just a general list, and not casting any aspersions on you.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Hi,

well said 👍
    +5

* By the way, this specific message is abusive in my opinion. It might not be such coming from someone else as one time case, but in this case this message shows part of the issues I am speaking about. You need to be part of the community to understand this issue, and not think about specific message outside of the history. Anyhow, I can understand why it was found as abusive, even if I would not mark it myself.

signature   Ronen Ariely

Friday, October 18, 2019 12:47 AM
  • Celko, representing Microsoft, I have asked you many times to be kinder to the other users of this forum. You do for a little while, and we appreciate that.

Ronen is right, that a lot of people mark your posts because they feel like you are being rude to them or writing a lot about your books. While I agree that your books are valuable, there are many valuable resources in the SQL community. 

So Peter Laker was very accurate about his list of three things to try to avoid. 

We have automatic tools now that remove spam. That will continue. It doesn't look like your signature is the issue, or that would have flagged all your posts. 

Regardless, we hope that you continue to contribute to the community (and I mark many of your posts as helpful), but we ask that you be kind and to be objective when giving resources.

Thank you!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, October 18, 2019 5:09 AM
    Owner