new to ofx files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm in France and I am using a French version of MS money 2004.  Everything worked fine until my bank changed the type of download files.  It worked well with .qif files but I have problems with .OFX files.   I have several bank accounts and the first download went ok into the first bank account - all done manually.  MS money does not ask me where I want to put the second download and it puts it straight into the first bank account. 

What am I doing wrong?  I will be VERY grateful for some help.

David

Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:11 PM

All replies

• If OFX Web statements are placed in the wrong account, blank the
    Financial Institution (FI) for the *wrong* account in account
    settings.  Do that in the Account Settings/Details, which you can
    reach by right-clicking the account name on the Account List.  Don't
    just change the FI.  Blank it.

On the Account List, if there are transactions to read for the
    wrong account, right-click TransactionsToRead, and then click
    Delete Statement.

Import the OFX file.  Money should ask which account to use.  Tell
    Money the statement should go onto the right account.

Put the FI for the *wrong* account back.

If that does not fix it,  there is a method where you temporarily
    change the currency of the wrong account.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Hello

Thank you for your quick answer. I've followed your instructions and now I get (in French) "Money has encountered an error, please retry. If the problems persists call your bank"  There's some magic going here that I do not understand.

Kind regards...David

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I intentionally made an OFX file defective, and attempted to import it into Money Plus. The resulting error message was "The file you attempted to import appears to be invalid or contains corrupt data. Please download the file again. If the problem continues, contact your financial institution."

You could try the same test by using an editor that can handle weird files, and for example change a <NAME> field from "<NAME>Some Store" to "<NAME>Some &Store". Save that modified file as test1.ofx. Then make a copy of your Money file named "test.mny", open that copy in Money, open test1.ofx and see if the resulting message was the same message you were getting. That would indicate that there was a problem with the OFX file.

There is an OFXAnalyzer.exe utility downloadable via http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/366.aspx

If that identifies a problem, it identifies it with a line number. However if there are no newline characters, everything is on one line. So if you can replace all '<' characters with a linefeed followed by '<' (using an editor etc), then the file will be more human readable, plus it will have lines that the OFXAnalyzer.exe utility can count. Some OFX files have multiple lines, and some run everything together.

If you can find that the problem is a defective OFX file, you could fix it manually. If it is persistant, it is possible to make a utility to modify an OFX file to fix that same error for future use.

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:02 PM
  • You can repair corrupted OFX files from your bank and creditcard using iCreateOFX Basic
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:36 PM