How to restore WHS v1 backup to WHS replacment PC using WHS v1 backup RRS feed

• Question

• This is not upgrading to WHS 2011. It is not replacing a HD on WHS. The WHS v1 system drive failed.
    I replaced the failed HD, re-installed WHS v1, and trying to re-add the external HD that had the WHS v1 backup, was informed by I WHS that it would be re-formatted, if I followed the instructions. Not sure how to use my WHS v1 backup to restore it.

I need to add that external HD in order to use it, but adding it will re-format it, so it isn't clear how to use that backup, s.t. I can restore it.

Existing threads seem to address other use cases, although this would seem to be a common occurrence. Help..

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the exact error message when you adding the external HD? Have a try to connect it to another computer and see if issue persists.

Please understand that it could be caused if the disk is corrupted. Check if the disk is displayed as RAW in Disk Management, if it is the case you may not able to restore it.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Maybe I wasn't clear.

The WHS v1 system disk crashed. Wouldn't even boot. I had to replace the disk that had the WHS OS on it. and re-install WHS. There is no recovery from that. It's not like one of the non-system disks went, and one can replace it and WHS can re-create it. It was the system disk w/ the OS on it.

So it's a virgin system with nothing on it, and I want to restore the backup of WHS, but WHS will only allow one to restore the backups it created. And it is a brand new OS install w/ no backups. And when trying to add the backup external disk to the new virgin WHS (albeit the same hardware), WHS tells you it will re-format the disk. Re-format the very disk that has the backup on it. So that won't work.

I need to know how to take the backup on that external disk, and RESTORE it to this WHS system on the same hardware that has nothing on it.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 1:30 AM
  • Disappointed in Microsoft and lack of an answer from this Forum.

It's a simple question and use-case. WHS v1 system disk failed. I replaced failed system drive, and re-installed virgin WHS v1, and now have no way to restore the data from  the backup I created from the WHS UI on the original WHS v1.
    One would think this is a common use-case for WHS.

I cannot add the external disk that the backup is on, b/c WHS wants to erase it when I do that.

So.. there seems to be no way in the WHS UI to restore the backup. Not sure why Microsoft even offered the ability to backup WHS if it won't allow a user to restore it.

Monday, August 11, 2014 1:32 PM
  • It's been a long time since WHS1 became unsupported and I personally have forgotten almost all I knew about it (having moved to WHS2011), but I don't recall being able to back up the Server via the Console? Have you looked at this FAQ? http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:29 AM