Lose the dude on the website front page RRS feed

• General discussion

• Finally! A product that speaks to geeks who shop at The Gap and buy office furniture at IKEA.

But is it prudent to setup in the middle of a country road? Isn't he likley to be mowed down by a tractor? And the wireless access can be so difficult.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 3:47 AM

All replies

• You can change that image yourself, if you want. It's just an image in the file system.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 4:06 AM
  • That has me thinking... that the front-page picture should be customizable - selectable from any image on the Pictures share. I could see many home users wanting to personalize their home server with family-related shots. It would need to be an option somewhere on the console as most of the target audience will not change (or know how to change) the default art-work.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:04 AM
  • hello ken,

could you please specify where this image is been placed.
    i search over different folders, but found not a relevant objects.

also, as billdickens wrote, there should be an easy way to change the image.

thanks.

Friday, March 16, 2007 10:30 AM
  • The image is located here:

C:\Inetpub\home\Images\i_landingpage_main.png

However, replacing the image (while it works) is difficult to make it fit the screen.  I couldn't successfully get a family photo to fit the 759X316 size that is available...
    Friday, March 16, 2007 10:44 AM
  • hello,

thanks for information.
    i will try to change the aspect-ratio and size of one of my photos and replace the standard image.

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:00 PM
  •  

I was able to use an image my daughter designed a few years ago and resized it using "paint".

it worked looks much better than the DUDE.

Hope we can do a littke more with  this page later on.

Friday, March 16, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Cool!  thanks for the info - I replaced the DUDE with my 7month son holding his feet!
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:37 AM
  • i do the same and replace the dude with a resized picture of my family.
    looks just better
    Monday, March 19, 2007 3:22 PM
  • Well, there is no need to be limited by just the set size and file name that is in WHS.

The pics are here: C:\Inetpub\home\images
    The web page file is here: C:\Inetpub\home
    The current pic is: i_landingpage_main.png

Now, find any picture you want and copy it to the C:\Inetpub\home\images folder
    Keep your size reasonable. Don't want it to hog the whole page now...
    In C:\Inetpub\home you will see a file called default.aspx . This file is basically the file that controls how the web page looks and what pictures to use. Just right click it and select "Edit."
    It will open in Note Pad.
    Scroll half way down and you will find the original text for the main picture <td background="images/i_landingpage_main.png" width="759">

Now change the file name to match the name of the pic you placed in the images folder.
    Example: <td background="images/myfavoritepic.jpg" width="759">
    You can adjust the width=759 up or down to widen the table holding your pic.
    You can adjust the height with the code just above your pic code: <table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" background="images/i_lightblue_u.png" height="593"> But leave the images text "/i_lightblue_u.png" alone! Just adjust the "593" number up or down to match your pic height. This affects the height of the table...
    To save your changes go to the top and click "File" and then "save."
    Now go to your home page and refresh. Whala.
    Adjust the width and height numbers in the default.aspx file, hit save, and refresh your
    home page unitl the pic is just right.

I would advise making a copy of the ORIGINAL default.aspx file and putting it in the shared folder of WHS should you totally screw up your code. .LOL. Then you can just copy and paste the original file back, overwriting the messed up default.aspx file and putting WHS back to stock. If you know a little bit about HTML and tables you can figure this out.... Be careful!!

Use Remote Access to get to the WHS desktop or use a KVM switch to get into the WHS desktop. This cannot be done through the console...
    Friday, April 20, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Also, if you want to change the same logo, but on the page that appears when you connect remotely (via Web Browser login), its the same image file name, but located in the C:\Inetpub\remote\images directory instead

Blue_Darpa

Correction: the file name is i_default_photo.png
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:04 PM
  • I forgot to mention that one. I was thinking of tweaking that too. To get rid of the MS logo... Completely useless tweaks, but nice personal touches if we are willing to dabble. ;-)
    Monday, April 23, 2007 3:00 AM