New Family PC Builds Using 64 bit Vista Questions & Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Background Info: I currently have a paid subscription to OneCare on 3 home PCs. I'm building 3 new PCs and have purchased Vista 64 bite OS systems. I also purchased another new OneCare subscription (not yet activated) which the box says now supports Vista 64 bit OS. I loaded the new OneCare on one of the new builds I just completed and am testing...during the instalation process it ask if I wanted to make this new computer the Master Hub PC to which I said yes (which may have created issue since this 64 bit PC when OneCare is activated should have a different subscription date as my old three PC's.).

My Problem #1: I am unable to get to activation process (purhaps OneCare is thinking this PC is part of my already paid subscription on my other three PC's one of which is offline in storage) Maybe I do not need to activate this PC with my new Activation code untill my old subscriptionb runs out this AUGUST?

My Problem #2: OneCare says my Vista Firewall on the new PC is turned off and it can not turn it on. I get constant looped error messages and I've spent over 4 hours searching for solutions using the so called "MS OneCare instant help" and following help instructions which were of no help to me. I down loaded a "MS fix" for a OneCare Firewall issue on new installs but am unable to run it as new Vista OS says I am not an Administrator. Vista response is wrong as I am the Administrator and clearly loged on as an Administrator.

I've also spent over 1 hour trying to locate a customer support number for OneCare since I already have a paid subscription and am just buying more subscriptions. I recieved excellent help for the 1-800 number for new VISTA install issues under their 90day program. But the MS OneCare support team is harder to find then Osama Bin Laden! 

This paid OneCare subscriber is looking for the 1-800 support number and a hero who has possible solutions to my issues and questions. After 3 hours of using The "MS OneCare Instant Help" it is clearly of no help to me! I need a live thinking human with experiance!
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:49 PM

Answers

• For problem #1 -

When you activated to new install and used the LiveID for your original subscription, you added it to the existing subscription. You will need to uninstall from one PC and create a *new* subscription with a different LiveID/email address as only one subscription can be associated with a single LiveID.

For Problem #2 -

Is the Windows Security Center telling you that your firewall is off? (Red Shield with an X in it?) Or is OneCare reporting that its own firewall cannot start. If it is the latter, save the firewall repair tool to your desktop and right click the saved file and select Run as Administrator as elevated privileges are needed to run it. If it is the Windows Security Center, meaning that the OneCare icon is actually green, then you need to repair the WMI database used by the Security Center or change the Security Center settings to *not* warn you about your protection as OneCare will do that for you.

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Since you found Instant Help, in the corner of the page for Instant Help is "Get More Help" - click that and then follow the path to get your support options. It is described here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:09 PM

All replies

• Good luck!  I've been trying literally for weeks (about 6) to get Onecare working in Vista 64 Ultimate.  Still no joy.  Support has now offered to call me if I can block out a 3 hour period for them.  We'll see...

Monday, May 26, 2008 11:05 AM
  • For problem #1 -

When you activated to new install and used the LiveID for your original subscription, you added it to the existing subscription. You will need to uninstall from one PC and create a *new* subscription with a different LiveID/email address as only one subscription can be associated with a single LiveID.

For Problem #2 -

Is the Windows Security Center telling you that your firewall is off? (Red Shield with an X in it?) Or is OneCare reporting that its own firewall cannot start. If it is the latter, save the firewall repair tool to your desktop and right click the saved file and select Run as Administrator as elevated privileges are needed to run it. If it is the Windows Security Center, meaning that the OneCare icon is actually green, then you need to repair the WMI database used by the Security Center or change the Security Center settings to *not* warn you about your protection as OneCare will do that for you.

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Since you found Instant Help, in the corner of the page for Instant Help is "Get More Help" - click that and then follow the path to get your support options. It is described here:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:09 PM