Java vs .NET RRS feed

• Question

• Why do u prefer, .NET and Java? Why?
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:05 PM

All replies

• I prefer Java to .NET because it an open source language which supports all OS and most of the Mobile Devices too.

I am pasting a quote of am important on this debate

"If you just do [development] for .Net, you're propping yourself up on [Microsoft's] economic model. They get to change it however they choose," Hapner said.

J2EE, on the other hand, supports a collaborative community, Hapner said. "I think [J2EE is] the place where developers and vendors and open source communities can really work together in a way you can't do in .Net," said Hapner.

Java is updated more regularly than .NET.

I personally feel both are very good in their own and they are incomparable in many terms. The point is that whatever you go for learning you should be really good in it.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Java scores more than .NET according to me.

The reasons:-

1. Its Open Source

2. Its updated more regularly

3. It has better webdevelopement features

4. It support 3rd party tools more

Friday, November 9, 2007 8:24 AM
  • i prefer .net simply my answer y means .net is framework n java is lang i like framework ...

Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Currently I am working on .NET but I lOVE to work on Java.

Java is open source language and its concept is much easier than .NET

Java is used by all most mobile devices

Java is best for networking project

Java is best for developing web server

Java run on all platform & hardware

Java is Architectural neutral

Java is BEST

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:29 AM
  • .net is any day better....

u r getting an integrated environment to work with...

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:00 PM
  • .NET > JAVA any day. It's not even worth comparing unless you are mad about going cross-platform.

@Abhishek_Vidyanta

Its Open Source

.NET Framework source code has been released under a reference license. You wouldn't want to modify the source code of .NET Framework anyway as it is massively deployed and modifying the source code would mean an extra overhead when deploying your software. Also, the .NET Framework is easily extensible. Just inherit and modify the classes as required.

Its updated more regularly

.NET might not be updated as frequently as JAVA but every release of .NET Framework and its assoicated tools (Visual Studio IDE) are all major releases far outpacing JAVA in terms of sheer features.

It has better webdevelopement features

You are kidding me. What better platform for web development than Visual Studio + IIS7 + ASP.NET + ATLAS + WCF + of course, silverlight! It's all seamlesly integrated under a single platform, .NET.

It support 3rd party tools more

Visual Studio is the best IDE in the world. It's very easily extensible (through plugins) and there are 100s of plugins/extensions/scripts available. Also, there are 1000s of components available for .NET in general. What more can you ask for?

@Rahul_Gupta_2546ce

Java is open source language and its concept is much easier than .NET

.NET Framework source code has been released under a reference license. Being open source does not make it any easier. JAVA is an interpreted language which is in fact a harder concept to grasp. Not to mention the worries about going cross platform.

Java is used by all most mobile devices

It's a matter of choice. Several companies use Windows Mobile OS for their PDAs and mobiles. And just about everyone else uses Symbian. They both have SDKs to develop native applications. Why bother with JAVA and its overhead in mobile applications where resources are precious.

Java is best for networking project

There's nothing specific in JAVA that makes it suited for networking projects. If anything, it's a bad choice for writing server applications. C/C++ is the best for server side applications. Now that WCF is out, it's easily the best platform for networking related projects.

Java is best for developing web server

No way! JAVA is possibly THE worst for web servers! Nobody in their right minds will ever let JAVA handle their web servers. You use powerfull, scalable and enterprise combos like LAMP or Windows Server 2k8 + IIS7 + ASP.NET

Java run on all platform & hardware
    Java is Architectural neutral

I decided to answer these two in one go as it's essentially the same thing. This is the greatest irony in JAVA. Do you realize JAVA's favorite tagline "Write once, run anywhere" never really works out? You have to specifically work with different platforms. In fact, it will be a lot easier using C/C++.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:19 AM
  • Well i worked on JAVA for an year or so. But I Discovered .net as too much relavant than JAVA.

This language is very much Handy with lots of functions and new developments attached to it.

It has some great deals and i love to work on VB.net, C#.net and VC++.net. I reallly enjoy programming using .net

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:33 AM
  • i like .Net bcoz it is a framework n its a user friendly compare 2 java

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:13 AM
  • ·         Choosing between J2EE and .NET is a strategic enterprise platform decision and should not be treated as only a tactical technology decision.  There are clearly significant technical issues that must be analyzed but ultimately the decision should be made from understanding the business issues.  The future impact of costs, flexibility and risk are significant and often outweigh the initial investment in one architecture or another.

·         Considering the total cost of ownership, development cost, application performance, current infrastructure and future business trends, Microsoft .NET is the platform of choice.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:01 PM
  • Though the point you said are correct, .Net provides a wide supporting languages. ie., A user can use Windows apps or Console application,web application, mobile application and interopability between different computer languages is one of the main advantage of .NET.

Though java also provide a wide range of features, it is limited within a limited user interface.And only java experts can know all the features of Java and J2EE.

But .Net provide MSDN which allows developers to create applications easily and those who haven't learn .NET can also learn it without any guide or staff to teach it.Also its online support is also good.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 4:01 AM
  • hii frd.....
    i pefer .NET in comparison to java bcoz... its provide
    *  automatic syntax checker in editor
    *  direct use of Windows APIs
    *  opened up to direct memory change
    300+ commands, 1000s of routines

all the design & coding is very easy as compared to java,it is less time consuming then java.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:53 PM
  • I will agree with you in this context and also .net will be a more supported environment mainly due to popularity of Windows OS but at the same time I will also like to say that Java was a more Structurally favourable and it paved the way for better languages so It is Java that started this all to take the language to the web,mobiles and practically to any and every platform today.

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:45 PM
  • Hi friend,

I m totally .net developer.

One thing I want to add that if so many people love / like java than why they r working in .net ??

Why they have joined student rockstar even though it is organized by Microsoft ??

And one of the main thing is that "Is there any other "Developer Friendly" environment as Visual Studio for .net ????????"

They must have to go only & only for java.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:44 PM
  • it is simple

java

* every thing in java is under class and object

* applet nature

* nature of java compiler and interpreter

* machine independent

* Can define own class, clusters, packages, interface and also static methods and classes

* Many user can collobrate and work together for a single project

* Premitive datatypes have the same memory space even the platform changes

.Net

* Here we have more advantages like classes, object and shell

* You also create you own window by inherit the window class

* every function or method or property is accessed by using .-dot operator

* Excelent exception Handling

* Excelent deadlock detection

* Threading run a single process in diffrent threads(threading) or divied in modules and run in diffrent threads

(multithreading)

* Background Worker make your work without disturbuing your gui

* Inbuilt gui tools, classes, methods, and Namespaces

* calling a remote procedure or object by adding References and components

* Diffrent types of database can be used in a single project

* Easy to built, run and compile

the only diffrence between the java and the gui

??

i thing the only diffrence is

.net is gui oriented language

java is basicaly console oriented language

Monday, April 7, 2008 11:34 AM
  • Rahul,

Thank you for your very insightful comments. I've learned a lot reading your post.

Without getting too far off the main jist of the subject would you say that your pro argument for .Net over Java would be applicable to PHP as well?

Thanks,

Bill

Monday, April 28, 2008 4:56 PM
  • afaik java and .net have 2 major advantages on their own and both r preferrable in separate environments.

if windows server is going to be used, .net is better due to custom built framework for the windows environment.
    if the server is going to be linux or solaris or undecided (may be windows but not for sure) the development can be done in java. the deployment can be done in any of the servers in this case.

the key advantages of .net and java has been pointed out by someone else. so if the server decision is dependant on choosing the language, those factors can be used to decide first.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Hmm with due respect to all the comments I want to reply for this one many of the JAVA developer had written the point that JAVA is more architectural in nature. Then i just want to tell them that Microsoft had provided a complete new framework which is based on MVC model to design application so the reason to say java is more architectural dosen't seem appropriate.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Dude I am not sure how on server basis u r choosing between .NET and JAVA as both are platform independent.
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:39 AM
  • I am .NET Programmer, i love .NET, i love Microsoft, i want to be .NET is better, microsoft should work on that to make it better.
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:25 AM