Windows Defender Functionality RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!  I'm running OneCare 2.0, and from my understanding Windows Defender is disabled (as its functionality is supplanted by OneCare).  However, one thing I do notice that is missing is the ability to alert me to system changes, such as changes to the HOSTS file.  I use the MVPS HOSTS file to block out adware / malware sites, and I appreciated Defender giving me a quick pop-up whenever this file was changed.

Does this functionality exist in OneCare?  Presently, I don't receive any notification when such a change is made.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 3:41 AM

Answers

• Apparently it does not. I just edited my hosts file on Vista and copied it to the folder after renaming the default and OneCare has not uttered a peep.

Thanks for the feedback.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• Apparently it does not. I just edited my hosts file on Vista and copied it to the folder after renaming the default and OneCare has not uttered a peep.

Thanks for the feedback.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong (still new to OneCare).

From your response, do you think this is something OneCare SHOULD be doing at present (i.e. a bug), or is it something that's not there, but should be part of the functionality?

On that same track, is there an issue with turning Defender back on while running OneCare?

Thanks again for your help!
    Monday, December 3, 2007 7:20 PM
  • I think we may be bouncing threads here. :-) As noted in the other thread, I think that OneCare would react if a program tried to change the Hosts file as that would be malicious, but I can't be certain that it would react. I do think that it should. It should provide the *same* protection as Defender and then some....

If you turn Defender on, OneCare will keep turning it off.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Stephen, what's the easiest way to submit a bug to Microsoft?  Assuming the functionality should be there, hopefully they can fix this quickly.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:30 PM
  • Use the submit feedback link under Help in OneCare. Posting the issue here is also a good way to get it visible to Microsoft.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:00 AM
  • This is the way this has functioned since Defender was first integrated into OneCare. Though the core AntiSpyware functionality to detect and remove actual malware was added, most things that required user interaction have been removed or simply automated if possible.

I believe this is operating as designed, since unlike Defender, OneCare makes the assumption that the user will simply be confused by such warnings when no known malware is involved. In fact, these warnings were even discussed in the Defender forums during the earlier beta of that program. Though the warning was retained, it was radically changed to make it easier to understand and more informative about what was really happening.

Since it may not be desireable to have say a child respond to such a request for a decision, I think that supressing these dialogs makes sense for OneCare, since it was desiged as foolproof protection for the non-technical user. However, making your preference known is fine, since if most users wanted this displayed it might be changed.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:45 AM
  • I'm OK with that OneCareBear, I just want to make sure it *is* actually working.  What brought this on was that I created a macro to overwrite my HOSTS file with the MVPS HOSTS file when its updated.  I download it, run the macro, and it moves it into place.

If behind the scenes OneCare is saying "That's an OK change", fine.  However, I would be curious as to what constitutes an "illegal" change to the HOSTS file then.

I like the idea of "fire and forget" security software, which is why I want to use OneCare.  However, I want to make sure its actually protecting me too! 
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Apparently it does not. I just edited my hosts file on Vista and copied it to the folder after renaming the default and OneCare has not uttered a peep.

Thanks for the feedback.

-steve

where are these host files ive got vista and my defender keeps closing down n oh ive got onecare aswell and doing what u said will work for mine

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:06 PM
  • If you have OneCare installed, Defender will be closed by OneCare - don't run it. It can't be removed from Vista, so OneCare simply closes it if you run it. Defender protection is included in OneCare.

-steve

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Thank You very much Steve, for your advise re Windows Defender Fuctionality. Your advise hits the nail right on the head for those of us who have been looking through pages of Windows Live OneCare Help Files to find an answer to the Question: HOW does one uninstall Windows Defender? Windows Live OneCare Help is in a bad state because even the Windows Live OneCare "Instant Help", when asked, comes back with the reply: "Sorry, I do not know what You are talking about" Yet before installing Windows Live OnCare customers are being warned you must uninstall what is in fact UNINSTALLABLE!

Talk about trust and confidence in Windows so called Help pages upon pages of confusion!

I had uninstalled Windows Live OneCare for fear of counter reactions while Windows Defender was (and is) still listed within my Security Center.

Well, now I will re-install Windows Live OneCare because I have purchased a one year renewal. Hope all goes well.

Thanks, and kind regards

Horst F. Roehling

Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:20 AM
  • You're welcome, Horst.

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Hello. I am also running one care 2.0    Just for clarification - when you install one care, Defender is aupposed to be disabled??? I was attacked by "xponlinescanner" and nothing stopped it or warned me. I immediately unplugged my internet wire and rebooted, looked around, etc and eventually went back online and found this was a virus. My assumption was that Defender was off and that was why this virus came in. So I restarted Defender. Of course it keeps turning off. So I ask again, -  Defender should be automatically disabled with ONE CARE running?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Hello Stephen.

I asked a question before reading all the way thru.

Defender gets put into one care........I get it now.

Your replies are verey, very informative.

I applaud your ability to clear things up.

thank you.

tf

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:00 PM
  • You're welcome, TF.

You were not attacked, but you ran into an infected site, as I did last week. If you click nothing and close the active browser window, the malware doesn't install, thankfully. :-)

I considered revisiting the site on a test machine to see what OneCare would do when I actually clicked on the popup "warning/ad" from the fake antispyware program, but decided to simply let it be.

-steve

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Steve I finally ran into a page that wanted to install XPAntiVirus2008 on my machine a couple of nights ago and I didn't chance it either.  In retrospect I wished I kept the URL and tested on my laptop (it is my experimental machine) to see if OC, UAC, or Protected Mode would catch it.

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Yep. Best to close the browser window/pop-up immediately and delete temporary Internet files, too. :-)

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:10 PM
  • For test purposes only with caution, captured below link, found your forum trying to see what happened to me this morning when searching song lyrics for CD, I am sure that is where this started. Enjoy the deconstruct.....

http://xponlinescanner.com/2008/3/en/_freescan.php?aid=77011803
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:32 PM