70-640 Any new changes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have registered for the 70-640 Exam at the end of October and though there are related posts regarding this question, they are old so just thought I'd ask - 70-640 is the same exam as 83-640, except it is the traditional questions opposed to more lab/simulations correct? I am using the MS Press Book for this exam and it was published in 2008 - is the best book to be using still? Thanks!
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:28 PM

Answers

• I'd suggest you read through this thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/d9614142-1a0d-470f-ac26-d7289df769fb

Microsoft did change the content that they test on.  The MS Press book doesn't cover anything about R2.  

The 83-640 exam has been temporarily pulled in the US because of problems with the lab sims.  

Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:26 PM
    Answerer
  • The 83-640 exam has been temporarily pulled in the US because of problems with the lab sims. 

I can confirm that. I was using a Prometric testing location for the virtual lab for this exam and it took 3 times to get it go all the way through. 3 times...

The first time, I got 1/2 the way through the virtual lab and out of no where the lab siezed and I wasn't able to re-enter the sesssion where I left off. When I re-entered the exam it placed me into the 3rd section (the multiple choice questions). Needless to say, but missing an entire virtual section of an exam (effectively 16 questions) is a fail. Thankfully MS regonized this wasn't my fault and credited me with a voucher for the exam again.

The 2nd time the virtual lab failed to even launch. According to Prometric, MS didn't setup/schedule/reserve the virtual lab so I couldn't connect to it. After waiting an ~ hour I opted to re-take the exam at a later time.

Finally, on the 3rd time I got all the way to the end of the virtual labs (there are 2 virutal lab sections each consisting of ~16 questions/scenarios), literally the last question relating to Event Viewer, & it sized up again. Fortunatly I was able to re-enter the session, but regratably it forced me to skip that last question and moved onto the remaining 20 multiple choice questions. I guess some luck that I got that far, but I've read elsewhere that is a common issue.

Conceptually it's a great idea, as it more accurately measures the knowledge of the tester and it would help in addressing how some people use illegal material to pass the test. Delivery/testing on the other hand was a failure, it seemed like not enough testing was conducted or the margin of error was so high that deploying it should have been delayed, if not halted till the margin dropped.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:50 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• I'd suggest you read through this thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com:80/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/d9614142-1a0d-470f-ac26-d7289df769fb

Microsoft did change the content that they test on.  The MS Press book doesn't cover anything about R2.  

The 83-640 exam has been temporarily pulled in the US because of problems with the lab sims.  

Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:26 PM
    Answerer
  • The 83-640 exam has been temporarily pulled in the US because of problems with the lab sims. 

I can confirm that. I was using a Prometric testing location for the virtual lab for this exam and it took 3 times to get it go all the way through. 3 times...

The first time, I got 1/2 the way through the virtual lab and out of no where the lab siezed and I wasn't able to re-enter the sesssion where I left off. When I re-entered the exam it placed me into the 3rd section (the multiple choice questions). Needless to say, but missing an entire virtual section of an exam (effectively 16 questions) is a fail. Thankfully MS regonized this wasn't my fault and credited me with a voucher for the exam again.

The 2nd time the virtual lab failed to even launch. According to Prometric, MS didn't setup/schedule/reserve the virtual lab so I couldn't connect to it. After waiting an ~ hour I opted to re-take the exam at a later time.

Finally, on the 3rd time I got all the way to the end of the virtual labs (there are 2 virutal lab sections each consisting of ~16 questions/scenarios), literally the last question relating to Event Viewer, & it sized up again. Fortunatly I was able to re-enter the session, but regratably it forced me to skip that last question and moved onto the remaining 20 multiple choice questions. I guess some luck that I got that far, but I've read elsewhere that is a common issue.

Conceptually it's a great idea, as it more accurately measures the knowledge of the tester and it would help in addressing how some people use illegal material to pass the test. Delivery/testing on the other hand was a failure, it seemed like not enough testing was conducted or the margin of error was so high that deploying it should have been delayed, if not halted till the margin dropped.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:50 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 5:17 PM
  • hi,

did u finish u r exam? how was it ?  any hints or u got any material to study.  send me mail on sanpuls@hotmail.com

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Old thread - sorry I didn't get an alert to responses on this. Thanks for the answers and Santoosh - yes I did write the exam - still want some study materials? I had some good notes from the 70-640 book. Working on 70-642 now :)
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:27 PM