Can't remove Office 2003 Professional that failed validation RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new Vista laptop with Office 2007 Professional.  I tried setting up web folders (through Networks, Add a Network Place), but it's not available in Vista/Office 2007.  A resource on the web said to install some web components from Office 2003.  A friend came to my house and said he installed the required components.

I tried to download something for Office 2007 from the microsoft website, but the validation failed saying "The product key used to install Office has been blocked by Microsoft."

My solution to this was to uninstall whatever Office 2003 components were installed.  I used the Add/Remove Programs and found one Office 2003 item.  I selected it, ran it and it said it uninstalled the program.  I tried revalidating, but it still failed.  I found some info that said to delete the office 2003 folder and the office 2003 registry keys.  I tried revalidating, but it still failed.  I found a link that said to download and run the Microsoft Installer remover.  Didn't work.

I downloaded and ran the Diagnostic Tool.  The diagnostic report is below.  All I want to do is uninstall Office 2003 and leave Office 2007 alone.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9364X-37XGX-24W6P
    Windows Product Key Hash: aA067NOL80NWIZ94L6hWVdZMoIo=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-OEM-7332132-00141
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {9B570FF0-3C64-4B9C-937B-DB8616237FF6}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_ldr.070828-1515
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{9B570FF0-3C64-4B9C-937B-DB8616237FF6}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-24W6P</PKey><PID>89580-OEM-7332132-00141</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-836379578-258316190-1336317827</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D630                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070723000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>76313507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57445</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>2007 Microsoft Office system</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>B900A3D34C7C5AE</Val><Hash>eSRkMGtGQDftlyqwYQ4rVWK/T5s=</Hash><Pid>89451-OEM-6672795-81194</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Saturday, December 8, 2007 11:02 PM

Answers

• Chaswagon,

We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office Suite 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.    Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Charles,

I am very glad to hear you are running again. This definetly sounds strange  . The resolutions I provided should have addressed the problems based on all my research. This is why I was recommending you to submit a support incident. 

Well take care and should you ever need further assistance Charles please post back.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:08 AM

All replies

• Can anyone help me?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:35 AM
  • Chaswagon,

We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office Suite 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.    Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:44 AM
  •  

Chaswagon,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide available options we have for assisting customers to address issues they are currently experiencing. Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key.

Next, review the KB article @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=enUtility .  This link provides information for Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions. 

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Stephen,

Please review my original post.  It states that I've run these tools, removed registry keys, followed instructions and nothing has worked.  I have a valid Vista license and Office 2007 license (installed on new laptop from Dell).

All I want is to completely uninstall Office 2003.  It's absolutely absurd that the uninstall doesn't cleanly uninstall itself.

Please advise on next steps to identify and remove remaining Office 2003 remnants.

Regards,

Charles

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Charles,

Can you try and uninstall Office 2007.  Restart your system and try to install your Office again?  Next We would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include your product key for (Office or Windows) so we may analyze specifics surrounding the problems you are encountering. Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after the changes you made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:27 AM
  • Stephen,

After running some of the above mentioned utilities and the steps outlined, My Office 2007 was experiencing issues.  So on Sunday, I uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007.  I checked the validation after I had reinstalled on Sunday and it was still saying failed.  I retested today and it passed.  So I'm all set.  I'm not sure why it would fail on Sunday and pass today.

Regards,

Charles

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Charles,

I am very glad to hear you are running again. This definetly sounds strange  . The resolutions I provided should have addressed the problems based on all my research. This is why I was recommending you to submit a support incident. 

Well take care and should you ever need further assistance Charles please post back.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:08 AM