Did it tune up or not, and when will it? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have just got an unsolicited window from LOC that advises me as follows:-

"Tune-up hasn't run in five weeks. You should run a tune-up now."

and

"Last tune-up: 2/3/2008"

"Next scheduled tune-up: 2/24/2008"

Interesting that the program seems to have no idea of what it is doing when.

Oh! BTW, I have tune up scheduled to run every four weeks.  Unless I can't count any more it appears that once again Mother Microsoft knows better.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 3:34 PM

All replies

• Interesting. What is the date for the PC system clock? Might it be wrong?

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Good idea, but no luck.  The system clock is OK.

My best guess now is that the last time it ran to completion was five weeks ago.  Then it tried to run as scheduled four weeks later (one week ago) and for whatever reason did not complete.  It then scheduled itself to run four weeks from that date (three weeks from now.)  Then realized it had failed and tried to run again a week later on 02/3/08, perhaps failed again, and finally panicked and tried to let me know what had happened.

I can't wait to see what will happen next!

BTW, any further news on when defrag in LOC will have user control?  I have a terabyte plus of disks on one system and defrag runs forever and makes other disk intensive tasks grind almost to a halt.  If it happens to collide with a sytem backup (Acronis, full every week and incremental four times a day,) to an external disk it will sometimes crash either one task or the other.  If it doesn't do that I have occasionally ended up with a crashed backup set. Not good! 

Mike C

Thursday, February 7, 2008 3:38 AM
  • Stephen,

I decided to conduct a little experimentation. It may shed some light on the bizarre behaviour.

I took the LOC advice and started up a tune up as the sole task on the system.  Then waited patiently until it was defragging the external USB drive that Acronis uses for backup.  Then I boldly invoked the Acronis control panel, (which does some disk profiling as it starts up.)

The banner window for Acronis opened, but just hung for about three to four minutes.  LOC continued with the defrag (access LED on the external drive flashing.)  Then I got a LOC pop up saying the Virus scan could not be started, even though the defrag was still active in the LOC window at 95% and the physical drive was actively seeking.

I checked the task manager; two instances of LOC (main window and tune up progress window) and one unknown "processing" task.  Ending the "processing" task closed down the Acronis banner window with an error and I duly sent a crash report to MS.

It is now twenty minutes later and LOC is still saying it is at 95% complete on a defrag, the disk is merrily seeking away and as best I can tell nothing is going anywhere.

I have been here once before (not by design.)  At this point I think the only recourse is to shut down the system, reboot, run a tune up to completion and then rebuild my back up set.  If I don't stop it I fear my disk will thrash itself to pieces or walk across my desk and throw itself to the floor in despair.

I may follow it!

Unfortunately shutting down LOC is going to further confuse the poor thing.  Maybe I should uninstall and start over with a clean install.  Yes?

Please let's be able to disable defrag on a drive or partition basis.  And don't tell me to use the LOC backup.  It is a pale shadow of what a backup should be compared to Acronis TrueImage.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:36 AM
  • I certainly won't tell you to use OneCare backup if you are using Acronis, which I use on my primary laptop. :-) Along with a manual copy process to sync data files to other PCs, and Windows Home Server doing backups of all PCs nightly. The only PC I use OneCare backup on now is m wife's and only because I didn't want to install the WHS connector on her PC and she tends to leave Outlook running 24x7, meaning a file sync won't grab the data file...

I also wish that Defrag could be turned off. And, there is *no* reason for Defrag to waste time on the external USB drive, either.

I would not go through a reinstall, however I'd repeat the Tune-up to completion overnight *without* firing up the Acronis control panel and after disconnecting the USB drives.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the advice.  However, after doing as you suggest LOC still reports:

Tune-up not run for five weeks.

Last tune-up on 02/08/06

Next tune up on 02/23/08

Poor little thing is very confused.  I just can't wait for the 23rd to see what will happen.

OH, and after the little experiment I described above I closed down the two LOC windows.  But my external disk continued to thrash and trash.  Checked the task manager applications tab - all clear.  I could not get to the process tab of the task manager to see what was active.  The system would not shut down, and I ended up pulling power on the system to shut it down.

Amazingly it rebooted clean with no bitching about a bad shut down.  Go figure!

Mike C

Friday, February 8, 2008 5:07 PM
  • I see two choices at this point. Wait for the 23rd and see what happens or contact support. I think I vote for the first choice.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 7:49 PM
  • This Tune up is a joke.......it runs half the day, then cancels itself out.  Then I get the message that it hasn't run in 5 weeks.

What's the deal with it anyway.  Seems I'm not the only one having this problem.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:02 PM
  •  kuji wrote:

This Tune up is a joke.......it runs half the day, then cancels itself out.  Then I get the message that it hasn't run in 5 weeks.

What's the deal with it anyway.  Seems I'm not the only one having this problem.

What happens when Tune-up "cancels itself out?"

I think you need to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:08 PM