Sync Services for ADO.NET on Windows Mobile - CTP1 Now Available for Download RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have just published the much anticipated first CTP release of Sync Services for ADO.NET for Devices supporting Windows Mobile

This release includes the same N-Tier data synchronization capabilities that you have found in the Win32 version of Sync Services for ADO.NET v 1.0.  At the download center you are also able to download a sample that shows how the concepts of data synchronization in an N-Tier scenario enabling synchronization through corporate web servers in to your backend ADO.NET enterprise data source.

For more information on the Microsoft Sync Framework or Sync Services for ADO.NET, please visit our Sync Developer Center.

We are really looking forward to heaing your feedback here on our forum.

Liam Cavanagh

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 7:32 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi all,

I'm working on the sync application(VB) that will sync the SQL Ce databases with Sql server 2005. The server side provider must serve as well the devices as the desktop Sql Ce.

My question :

Is it possible to use the WCF service on server side and acces to service on device by client application? I'm new to services world so i'm overflow the information. Please help me.

The WCF service side project is working fine with Desktop client application, but not working at all with device application(windows mobile 5). The desktop application use the service reference but the device application can only use web reference(or i don't know how to do it). The synchronisation on device fails after GetSchema() methode, i didn't really manage to debug the exception... Is the WCF service acces is compatible with devices?

PS. the device application using the common service reference works for synchronisation but i have to make few updates before and after sync session to the server database in one transaction, so if sync session fails, the transaction rollback. Each methode using the transaction (var. of the SyncProvider class) must use the same connection, command and transaction, and it fails as these objects don't exist anymore even if i created them once before. Perhaps it's a question of the configuration?

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:23 PM
  • the WCF server was supported on devices ( the client sync service app ). however, if you add the reference via the VS IDE, it internally treated the service as a webserver. so you need to to use the netcf version of svcutil.exe ( netcfsvcutil.exe ) to generate the client side references files.

there are also limitation regarding WCF device support. please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/andrewarnottms/archive/2007/09/13/calling-wcf-services-from-netcf-3-5-using-compact-wcf-and-netcfsvcutil-exe.aspx for more info.

for the server to use single connection, it is the IIS's behavior for each session it construct the new connection to the sql server, I guess you can deal with it by adding some sort of global value ( the sqlconnection object ) so each IIS session can re-use the same sqlconnection.

thanks

yunwen

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:48 PM
  • This mobile framework provides Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe for mobile devices, but is there any way to directly connect to an SQL Server from a mobile device using DbServerSyncProvider from Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server? 

I was planning on implementing a sync system based on the sample code at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726015(SQL.100).aspx , but I'm getting errors when referencing Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server and I assume it's because they are not compatible with .NET CF.

If this is not possible I guess I will have to implement a service that runs on the server?

Thanks!

Zach

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Zach,

The device bits do not support the 2-tier architecture that you describe where one would have direct line of site to the database.  Rather, the device bits require an n-tier architecture where your database is expose via a web service.

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Data Replication and Synchronization

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:27 PM