Reason for 'unhealthy' disk RRS feed

• Question

• After using the software for a week or so my main issue with it is just getting info when something doesn't work.  WHS doesn't like one of my disk drives for some reason but I can't tell why. (I assume the reason is in that huge log file somewhere.)  Put the real errors in a detail tab off the GUI. 

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:12 AM

All replies

• Is the failing hard drive one of multiple identical drives by chance?

You are right that the Home Server Console doesn’t give enough information... one way to track down some more is to login to your Home Server via remote desktop run chkdsk manually on each drive.

To do so, you’ll need to navigate to c:\fs\ to determine what the map/junctions points are for those drives... on my system in that dir I’ve got C, E and G, so for me to run chkdsk on all of my data drives I’d fire off the following commands (and noting the results of one before executing the next):

chkdsk d:
    chkdsk c:\fs\c
    chkdsk c:\fs\e
    chkdsk c:\fs\g

This should give you a limited ideas as to what drive is failing... unfortunately it wont do much to tell you why.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:09 PM
  • You said:

Is the failing hard drive one of multiple identical drives by chance?

Is there some anomaly with identical drives?  I am trying to integrate 4 identical 400mb drives into my WHS which were in my retired Buffalo NAS and they tend to not want to stay 'healthy' or 'add'ed -- I have so far written this off to a probable undersized power supply.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:38 PM
  • That's a great idea.  I guess what I was trying to say is that WHS software should have a 'details' button so you could see disk drive SMART information and stuff like that about an unhealthy disk.  Somehow, WHS detected something it saw about the drive that it thinks is 'bad' but that 'something' is not externalized to the user.  I know they are trying to keep it simple and that's fine, but I think a detail button keeps it simple but still allows someone who wants to see the detail to see it.   BTW: The drive in this case was unique so identification wasn't a problem.  (I'm just curious why it's unhealthy.)  (It seems like all events are going to that one log file, which makes troubleshooting a pain.)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:57 PM
  • nickeaston:

Mechanically no... visually yes.

I’ve got 3 identical 250 gig HD’s in my system and from time to time one is reported as failing... so I do a repair and all is well... until one fails again.

The problem is that the Home Server Console provides no way to know which drive is which and track such failures over time. Is it the same physical drive that keeps going bad? Is it different ones? I have no doubt that the underlying issue is my choice of hardware (I’m notoriously cheap) and not a fault of WHS... it just doesn’t help you track down the issue, something I am working on in an experimental add-in to try to do.

rmalbers:

I agree with you fully... and hopefully this will be something that is rectified by a later add-in (either from Microsoft or a third-party developer) or be included in the next version.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:39 PM
  • I also agree,

even a 'right-click' off the Homeserver icon, would be a step in the right direction. As it is, the people who this is aimed at, will have a red icon saying network unhealthy, while leaving them in the dark regarding what has actually gone wrong.

I think it should be integrated with a full page under maybe a 'Status' tab in the Console, which gives all running status information, with preset but adjustable parameters. Something along the lines of Motherboard Monitor, with the alarms being sent to the Connector Icon. That way, the system can be set up by the OEM (us!) for a particular computer, whilst the user will only initially see informative error messages.

Colin

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:41 PM
  • These are some good ideas - please submit them as individual suggestions...

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2107954&SiteID=50

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:11 PM