Feedback on conflict resolution dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I've realised this evening that the conflict resolution dialog has a shortcoming (in addition to those I've mentioned before). Its not inconceivable that many objects in a Mesh folder can get changed for some reason and all of these files then later cause conflicts. This has happened to me when synchronising gigabytes worth of media files.
    Trouble is that I have to go and resolve the conflict for every single file individually - why can't I just pick a group of them and apply the resolution to all? I realise that its pretty difficult to apply the same resolution logic to many files but some logic like "Use the latest version of the file from device A" would be sufficient.

Thoughts?

[If you can do this already and I haven't realised then sorry for posting this.]

-Jamie

P.S. Alerts on this forum have stopped working again. Why can't Microsoft build a forums system that works properly? <sigh>

http://jamiethomson.spaces.live.com/ | http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Jamie,

This is a great suggestion (and, no, unfortunately not something you can already do).  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Jamie,

This is a great suggestion (and, no, unfortunately not something you can already do).  I've added your vote for this feature to our internal list.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I'd like to add my voice to this discussion.  I'm generally very impressed with Mesh, but the "Resolve Conflicts" dialog box is hopeless.   In order to resolve the conflict intelligently, it seems to me I'd need to know which device the files are located on.  And why not also let me know the file sizes?

Thanks!
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:56 PM
  • I am having another issue with the Resolve Conflicts...
    I had a .mny file which used to sync, but as of the last updates, was added to the not supported list.
    My issue is that I'm left with a conflict of 4 .mny files that are all "Not downloaded" and I have no way to remove this conflict. I even moved and deleted all my .mny files from the meshed folder, but the conflict won't go away.
    Ay ideas?
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Agree, Add my vote too.  I have all my folders fixed except for a large P2P folder (not syncing with Live Desktop).

"Apply to All" would work well in this situation.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:25 PM
  • nurmaler said:

I am having another issue with the Resolve Conflicts...
    I had a .mny file which used to sync, but as of the last updates, was added to the not supported list.
    My issue is that I'm left with a conflict of 4 .mny files that are all "Not downloaded" and I have no way to remove this conflict. I even moved and deleted all my .mny files from the meshed folder, but the conflict won't go away.
    Ay ideas?

Hi,

Have you tried resolving these conflicts from your Live Desktop on www.mesh.com?  One of our developers thinks that might work.  If not, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.
    • Proposed as answer by nurmaler Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:13 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

nurmaler said:

I am having another issue with the Resolve Conflicts...
    Ay ideas?

Hi,

Have you tried resolving these conflicts from your Live Desktop on www.mesh.com?  One of our developers thinks that might work.  If not, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.

That did it. I enabled the sync for 'Live Desktop' and found the file and deleted it.
    Thanks!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Please add my vote to the request for a 'multiple conflict resolution option.

Dean Ayres
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:59 PM
  • if this has not been implemented yet (multiple conflict resolution) I would strongly agree that this is a needed feature.  As I sit here resolving GBs of files (50 at a time), it sure would be nice to have an "apply to all" option.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:59 PM
  • What I don't understand is why these are being flagged as conflicts at all. Is this only the first time it finds two identical files? A program like SyncToy looks at them, takes the newest one and problem resolved. Live Mesh looks at them, then quietly (it doesn't tell you) flags a conflict.

Sometimes the date is over a day apart. How is that a conflict? One file is clearly newer than the other, overwriting with newer files BY DEFAULT is an option I should be able to switch on, isn't that the entire point of syncing, getting the latest copy of all files to all machines??
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Personally, I would like to be able to ignore the conflicts.  For some reason I can't quite figure out what generates the conflicts and no matter which option I chose to resolve them (save as, keep version X, keep version Y, or keep all versions) I either end up with several copies of the same file (same date/time with a number appended to the filename) or everything ends up in the recycle bin.  It's pretty frustrating.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 11:27 PM
  • I have the same problem as cswenton here, its very annoying. In the end I gave up using live mesh on the folder in question as I didnt want to resolve over 1000 files

Dave
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:49 PM
  • cswenton said:

Personally, I would like to be able to ignore the conflicts.  For some reason I can't quite figure out what generates the conflicts and no matter which option I chose to resolve them (save as, keep version X, keep version Y, or keep all versions) I either end up with several copies of the same file (same date/time with a number appended to the filename) or everything ends up in the recycle bin.  It's pretty frustrating.

David Clark NCL said:

I have the same problem as cswenton here, its very annoying. In the end I gave up using live mesh on the folder in question as I didnt want to resolve over 1000 files

Dave

Hi,

First of all, I do apologize for the frustration here.  We've been seeing more reports of strange conflict behavior lately, and if you're willing to submit a bug, that might help us determine what was going on and resolve it for the future.  Instructions for collecting logs and submitting a bug are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.  Please feel free to post your Connect Feedback ID here after you have submitted your bug, as this will allow others with the same issue(s) to view and validate your bug.  Of course, we are working continually to improve conflict handling in Live Mesh - but the more feedback we get the better.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:09 PM