MKV streaming over Remote Web Access RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I'll start off by saying I know that MKV isn't officially supported by WHS. I've read around, and it seems that some people have gotten it to work. I haven't had much luck. I have the Shark007 Kodec pack installed, and the movies do play on the server in WMP. I've noticed that for the movie to show up it needs to be in the WMP library, so I followed this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/adding-mkv-files-to-the-windows-media-player/c867bdea-9674-4f0b-b56f-7650920f14a1

That worked in adding it to the library, but it never showed up on Remote Web Access. I then tried renaming the file to .avi from .mkv and was able to get it to show up on Remote Web Access and actually play! However, the video runs in 4:3 mode, instead of 16:9. I even tried a .avi that was 16:9, and it still played as 4:3, and looked terrible. Everything works perfectly in WMP on the server.

So, I'm just wondering if there is any way to remedy this. I don't mind using different software, as long as I can still use the Remote Web Access media player. If anybody has any insight on this that would be great.

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 8:33 PM