Access 97 Database Compatible RRS feed

• Question

• Is WHS compatible with Access 97 database ? I am using WHS with access 97 and I am getting a delay when accessing the database. Anyone can help

Thank you

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:30 PM software question... (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:23 PM

Answers

• Access 97 isn't really designed for network use; the delay is due to the way Access is reading data, which isn't really network aware. You should keep your database locally.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:29 PM

All replies

• Access 97 isn't really designed for network use; the delay is due to the way Access is reading data, which isn't really network aware. You should keep your database locally.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Ken thanks for the reply do you know if Access is compatible with WHS  ? 
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:40 PM
  • As I already said, Access 97 isn't designed for network use. You can store an Access database on your home server, but you should expect Access to be very slow with certain operations. And you shouldn't install Access directly on your server; your server isn't designed to have desktop software installed and used on it.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:03 PM
  • I have seen certain offices that use a central Access 2003 file and share over the network, so it is possible. Not sure specifically with WHS - but probably any Windows Server version will do
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:51 PM