help-yield.com search engine hijack RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I am a One Care subscriber using Explorer 7 who is experiencing a peculiar problem whenever I use Google, Yahoo, or any of the other major search engines. When a search querry is entered into the field and Entered, the search engine is hijacked to a site with the domain name of www.help-yield.com...

I have run One Care, SpyBot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Kaspersky - all to no avail. I have cleared everything I can think to clear yet it keeps happening.

Any and all help offered is most appreciated.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:56 AM

Answers

All replies

•   

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Any and all redirects of this type ending up in you getting a help-yield.com results page is most likely not mallware or spyware on your machine.

A good chance is that you are using free wifi somewhere like a hotel and the hotel is not aware that either they are using an ISP who is hijacking the searches or the ISP has been compromised. Help-yield seem to use a combination of DNS error hijacking, Some kind of transparent proxy hijack of your search results.

First look up how to block 3rd party cookies in whatever browser you are using (wont fix things but will help).
    second go somewhere known for free wifi (starbucks for instance) who has a reputation associated with the service and see if the search engines are responding normally. If this is the case then you know what network is unsafe.
    Third make noise at whatever company is getting hijacked. Get the hotel legal department involved, I'm quite sure this activity is in violation of various computer access and misuse acts.

Since this even hijacks MS Live search, I think the Microsoft lawyers should be all over this.

Godaddy is shielding the perpetrators of this illegal activity behind the securedomains company they run.

• Proposed as answer by thereido Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:01 PM
  • A good chance is that you are using free wifi somewhere like a hotel and the hotel is not aware that either they are using an ISP who is hijacking the searches or the ISP has been compromised. Help-yield seem to use a combination of DNS error hijacking, Some kind of transparent proxy hijack of your search results.

I had this problem while using the free wifi at a Stop 'N Shop grocery store.  When I returned to my home network (also through wifi) it went away.  I had tried a variety of fixes while at the wifi hotspot and none of them worked.  I didn't make any changes between the time I saw the problem at the wifi hotspot and when it went away at my home network.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:59 PM