Bad Block on Disk 0, what are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm afraid that one of my disks failed. When I was able to get in the WHS admin console I checked the event log and saw a lot of bad block errors for harddisk0. I ran chkdsk but it didn't find anything and it just sits at the end of the scan frozen and says "check disk is complete".  Now, I can no longer access the admin console.

This was brought to my attention today because it gets the "reboot and select boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" on screen error. I'd boot up the server and come back an hour later and the error was on the screen.

My question is, which disk is harddisk0, so I know which one to replace? Secondly what are my options - I'm assuming it's the system disc so I'd have to reinstall WHS - and if this is correct what is the process I can take so it doesnt wipe out my data? 

I should mention I have three 1TB drives in this server. 

Thanks in advance.

• Changed type baker2gs Monday, December 19, 2011 5:03 AM this is a question not a discussion.
    • Edited by baker2gs Monday, December 19, 2011 5:04 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:54 AM

Answers

• With Windows Home Server V1 and a home-built server, you would want to replace the failed system disk, boot from your original installation media, and use the server recovery installation option. (There's lots of information in the forum about server recovery; I recommend a search or three.) Don't choose the factory reset option, which will wipe your entire server.

For an OEM server (HP MediaSmart or similar) you should have received a server recovery disk with your server. Follow the instructions in your documentation for using that disk.

For any V1 server, there's a post in the FAQ section that lays out what data is at risk if a disk fails.

For Windows Home Server 2011, the recovery method is to replace the disk and then restore from your most recent server backup. If you have no backups, you would replace the disk and reinstall. This will erase the system disk, but not any other disks.

We can't really help with identifying the failed disk, I'm afraid; it will depend on your hardware but is often the disk connected to the lowest numbered port on your disk controller or motherboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by baker2gs Monday, October 28, 2013 1:31 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• With Windows Home Server V1 and a home-built server, you would want to replace the failed system disk, boot from your original installation media, and use the server recovery installation option. (There's lots of information in the forum about server recovery; I recommend a search or three.) Don't choose the factory reset option, which will wipe your entire server.

For an OEM server (HP MediaSmart or similar) you should have received a server recovery disk with your server. Follow the instructions in your documentation for using that disk.

For any V1 server, there's a post in the FAQ section that lays out what data is at risk if a disk fails.

For Windows Home Server 2011, the recovery method is to replace the disk and then restore from your most recent server backup. If you have no backups, you would replace the disk and reinstall. This will erase the system disk, but not any other disks.

We can't really help with identifying the failed disk, I'm afraid; it will depend on your hardware but is often the disk connected to the lowest numbered port on your disk controller or motherboard.

• Marked as answer by baker2gs Monday, October 28, 2013 1:31 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Thanks Ken! You're really a great resource for the WHS community. I appreciate your response.

I have a home-built server with WHS V1. I'm almost positive it's the system disk as I ran the chkdisk on the C: partition and now it wont boot into WHS, something I've experienced before with bad disks that the OS is on. Also this is a disk that I've had to run the disk repair utility quite a few times on from the WHS console.

My concern is that this disk was so big, that only 20gb of the 1tb was dedicated to the system and the remaining space was part of the drive pool. In the future should do you suggest I do the same or get a smaller drive specifically for the system installation?

I'm going to check the FAQ's about the system disk replacement and server recovery.

Edit: I'm considering getting a 32gb SSD (for stability) for my system disk and another 1TB to replace the lost data space - thoughts on this?

• Edited by baker2gs Monday, December 19, 2011 3:29 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:04 PM
  • ... Also this is a disk that I've had to run the disk repair utility quite a few times on from the WHS console. ...
    A note about disk errors in general: it's not uncommon for a disk to develop a few bad blocks over time, and it's not normally something you should worry about. However, if you repair a disk (using the functionality in the console or using chkdsk) and a few days or weeks later, you find yourself repairing it again, and again, you should replace it immediately instead of waiting for it to fail. A failed disk carries a much greater risk of data loss, and a much higher probability that you'll have issues during the replacement/OS repair process, than a disk that's still functional.

Monday, December 19, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Yeah this is what I get for procrastination.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Edit: I'm considering getting a 32gb SSD (for stability) for my system disk and another 1TB to replace the lost data space - >thoughts on this?

The minimum system disk size is 80 GB.  The system partition will only be 20 GB, but the system disk needs to be at least 80 GB.  A 32 GB SSD will not work.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whsfaq/thread/9a51fb45-a42e-4073-ba8c-da0a3045183b

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Ah, thanks. I guess I'll just get another 1TB to swap it out. Thanks for the reply!
    Monday, December 19, 2011 4:28 PM
  • I pulled the drive that wasn't showing up in the bios. I plugged it into a laptop and the 20gb system went through chckdisk fine. The other 445gb (it's actually a 500gb drive) locks up during scan disc and makes an awful noise. My set up is actually two 1.5tb and this 500gb (I was mistaken and said I had three 1tb earlier).

Since I bought a new drive I wanted to see what my options were. Can I create an image of the 20gb partition on the new 1tb I bought and make an image of the old system to restore on the new drive? Then can I try to copy as much data as I can off of the other partition (avoiding data that is written to bad sectors)? Or should I just abandon the data from the bad partition?

• Edited by baker2gs Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Imaging the system partition by itself won't get you to a place you really want to be; the data partition (the other 445 GB) is also essential to your server. When you go through a server recovery process, your server will attempt to reconstruct as much of the data partition as is possible (files on that disk that were in shares not duplicated will be lost, obviously), then see if you can recover anything else off the dead disk. Don't expect to get much, though.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Ah ok, well I thought it was worth asking. Sounds like it's a waste of time and will cause more problems than the time it will take. I just don't want to have to set up the accounts and configure everything again but I also want a stable system so I'm going to go the recovery route tomorrow. Thanks for answering Ken, I will let you know how it goes.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:29 AM
  • Well the hits keep coming. I've recovered the server all my data is there - thank you very much Ken for assistance pointing me in the right direction! It appears that one of my 1.5 tb data disks (disk 1) has a bad block and causing CRC errors and I've already lost some data. I'm running the chckdsk on all drives right now in hopes to "stabilize" it for now while I have a replacement drive en route.

Question: once I receive the new drive, can I add it to the drive pool and then remove the bad one? Or should I just remove the bad one, delete it from the drivepool and add the new one?

The second issue is with the client computers. I've reinstalled and reconnected it with the WHS connector - it shows up in the WHS console when the computers are on the network but it appears the back ups didn't happen last night.

Question: Do I need to wipe out the previous back ups from the old version of this server and create a new/clean connection for the client PCs? What is the correct process for re-configuring the client PC's to the WHS after a server restore?

• Edited by baker2gs Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:59 PM