can not activate beta 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having troble activating beta 2.0,  just wont let me do it. I have follwed the instructions on the e-mail and can not get to any part that asks for the product key i was given. How do you do it?

Saturday, August 18, 2007 10:03 PM

Answers

• It's been suggested that you may need to clear your Temporary Internet Files and delete the Cookies in IE in order to activate in some cases with the beta. It seems that the LiveID account services information is stored in a cookie and that could be causing you to be unable to complete the activation process.

There is an email address in the mail you received with the activation instructions and key. If the above doesn't work for you, contact that address or contact support. Use the Get More Help link on this page - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 12:22 AM

All replies

• Saturday, August 18, 2007 11:00 PM
  • It's been suggested that you may need to clear your Temporary Internet Files and delete the Cookies in IE in order to activate in some cases with the beta. It seems that the LiveID account services information is stored in a cookie and that could be causing you to be unable to complete the activation process.

There is an email address in the mail you received with the activation instructions and key. If the above doesn't work for you, contact that address or contact support. Use the Get More Help link on this page - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Taken all the steps in the 'Help'... including cleaning out my cookies, temp files etc and following the link... and to be honest it's all about as much use as a chocolate watch!!

OneCare is installed and working ok, with 184 days remaining of the Beta, but I received the email today telling me to Activate (Subscribe) and it's driving me nuts!!

There is definitely NO option to activate the Beta on the web page the wizard sends you to...

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:21 AM
  • One other suggestion made was to Log out of any site you are using a LiveID with and close all browser windows. Then start the activation process.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 1:27 AM
  • nope this does not work either, does it actually activate?

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Yes, it should activate.

If clearing temporay Interent files and cookies, as well as starting the process without any other browser windows open, and you have verified that your IE language setting matches your physical location (EN-US for US English, for example), then I believe that there is an email address to contact in the email you received or you can open a support case - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=onecarev2 - use the Get More Help link.

-steve

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Cannot activate windows live on my computer ?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:38 PM
  •  poliporto2 wrote:
    Cannot activate windows live on my computer ?

Are you trying to activate the 2.0 beta? If so, you cannot unless you were sent a special activation key that was set to random testers who signed up.

Are you trying to activate a trial version from http://onecare.live.com or from a retail store CD? If so, what happens when you try to activate?

-steve

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:05 AM
  • everytime I try to activate it sends me to the LIVE page everytime even with cookies erased

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:09 AM
  • Steve,

Yes it is beta 2.0 and yes I recieved a key from microsoft in an e-mail. It just won't let me activate though, I have actually gave up with it as when I mentioned this to Microsoft when I was on the phone to them about another issue they said nobody can.

Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Not sure why they would tell you that nobody can. If you have a beta key, it should be able to be activated. What exactly happens when you click the activate/subscribe link in the OneCare beta? it should open a browser window with a page to create a new LiveID or sign in with an existing LiveID. Once you've signed in, you should be presented with a page to enter a token or product key. What URLs are you sent to?

-steve

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    Not sure why they would tell you that nobody can. If you have a beta key, it should be able to be activated.

That statement doesn't appear to be incorrect - I couldn't activate it either, and went through a long process with support only to find that activation is not available for international folks.

Hope that helps a little.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Thanks for tht additional information, Dave. I'll see what I can find out. It may be that the activation testing was US only, but I don't know. Perhaps it was, however, limited to certain countries based on the keys provided.

-steve

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:44 PM