Restore Button is missing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello Steve,

I am trying to restore some files from an external backup drive but I can't find the "Restore files" button or link as described in the help documentation and in the this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

The only thing that might be happening is in this Note from the bottom of the KB article:

Note If Windows Live OneCare detects that there are no appropriate files to restore, the Restore files option is not available.

But I can connect to the external hard drive and see the file that I want to restore.  I know that the file is there, but when I try to click on it to open the folder or copy the file it says "Access denied.", etc. etc.

I assume that I am locked out because Live OneCare is the app that should have the permissions to restore the file.

Is there a screen shot somewhere that I can look at to show me where  "Restore files" or "Custom Restore" should be on the Live OneCare interface once I've opened it?

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• How was the backup created on this external drive? Was it connected to another computer and the backup was from that other computer only, or was it a Centralized backup device and contains backups for one or more computers? Was is a network Share location?

Some people have reported that creating a new, small backup from the PC you are now trying to restore to, and pointing the backup to the drive containing the backup you wish to restore from, allows the custom restore option to function fully and see the older backup.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:58 PM
  • steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The backup was created on the external drive using Live OneCare.  The external drive is a centralized backup device with 7 PC's in the OneCare circle.  The PC I am trying to restore to is the Hub PC.  The external drive is connected to the Hub PC and it is a network share.

If I understand your instructions in the 2nd paragraph you are saying to backup a small file to the external drive from the Hub? yes?... which should allow the custom restore option to be available?  I think I saw that in another discussion thread so I'll give it a try.  I am not in the office where the problem exists so I can't get to it til later today.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:11 PM
  • You're welcome. I guess the next question is - did the hub PC ever backup to this drive? Was this drive always connected to this PC for Centralized backup for all PCs?

When you work your way through the restore wizard and select the location to restore from, are you browsing to the network Share or are you browsing to the folder on the external drive at its drive letter?

I'm wondering if the problem is that the backup process backed up to a network Share, and the Restore process is looking at the location as a locally attached drive and not a Share - therefore it is a different media type to Backup/Restore.

And, yes, to your questions regarding my suggestion from the other post. Assuming that the hub has not backed up to this location before, performing a backup might make it available to Restore from.

Just for the record, you should not have 7 PCs in the Circle, since a Circle is defined by all PCs on a single subscription. A subscription is based on a LiveID activation and is licensed for 3 computers. If you have 7 PCs using OneCare, by license, as painful as the current limitation is, that means 3 licenses - 3 subscriptions - 3 LiveIDs - 3 Circles.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:36 PM