File Conflicts: Who Has The Files Enqued? RRS feed

• Question

• Post-rebuilding my WHS server, I am coming up with file conflict warnings like this .

For the share in the screen shot, I created a directory "zz Corrupt" and moved the files to it.

I would like to get rid of the offending files, but attempts to delete throw this error .

Can anybody elucidate?   I've re-booted a few times, but they're still throwing the same error.

It's like somehow, some time, they got on some sort of enque list, but the list never gets cleaned up.

Am I even close?

Also, two other shares have come up "Failing (Check Health)"  - which was how I found out about the one above.

Is there some way to localize the problem?  i.e. determine which files are corrupt or enqued or whatever?

Otherwise, I've got to perform a manual/error-prone  process of determining which files have been modified since the original restore and then try to preserve those before doing a complete restore.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• Post-rebuilding my WHS server, I am coming up with file conflict warnings like this .

For the share in the screen shot, I created a directory "zz Corrupt" and moved the files to it.

I would like to get rid of the offending files, but attempts to delete throw this error .

Can anybody elucidate?   I've re-booted a few times, but they're still throwing the same error.

It's like somehow, some time, they got on some sort of enque list, but the list never gets cleaned up.

Am I even close?

Also, two other shares have come up "Failing (Check Health)"  - which was how I found out about the one above.

Is there some way to localize the problem?  i.e. determine which files are corrupt or enqued or whatever?

Otherwise, I've got to perform a manual/error-prone  process of determining which files have been modified since the original restore and then try to preserve those before doing a complete restore.
    I would suggest you start with the FAQ post:  How do I resolve file conflicts.  That should get rid of at least part of your problem.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I would suggest you start with the FAQ post:  How do I resolve file conflicts .  That should get rid of at least part of your problem.
    Thanks.

The part under "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation"  bailed me out.

Oops.... I'm coming back to this post bc it seems like I may have lied. I got rid of most of the offending files using just plain Delete. But I still have several heirarchies of Folder/File where even "Type: attrib -h [[Drive:][Path] FileName] /s /d and hit enterTo delete the file, type DEL [filename] and hit enter" throws an "Access is denied".

Some body smarter would have figured this out right away.... but it finally dawned on me that one of the file's attributes was preventing deletion.

The attribute in this case was "A".... whatever that is.... -)

So:    attrib -a filename /s /d was the ticket to render the file or directory deletable for some.

But: for others, that command threw "Access is denied".   Any thoughts?
    FWIW, here's a screen shot of the command window :  first, an attempt to clear the "Archive" attribute, then a listing of all remaining (problem) files' attributes.   I tried various combinations of removing A first, S first, H first.... but it's not buying it.

Lotta command line typing going on ...

I can see a feature request here for WHS:  the ability to print the list presented by that "File Conflicts" screen - which would enable the user to paste same into some sort of .CMD or .BAT file....

Couple hundred files affected, and taking screen snaps of the dialog in various scroll states could get old.

BTW: Any idea how long before those messages stop being shown?   I've managed to delete/replace all the files cited in one share, but the messages persist - along with the "Health" notification on the share.  It's been a couple of hours at the time I write this.

Reboot?

Just a matter of time until some sort of background process runs?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Thanks.

The part under "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation"  bailed me out.

Oops.... I'm coming back to this post bc it seems like I may have lied. I got rid of most of the offending files using just plain Delete. But I still have several heirarchies of Folder/File where even "Type: attrib -h [[Drive:][Path] FileName] /s /d and hit enterTo delete the file, type DEL [filename] and hit enter" throws an "Access is denied".

Some body smarter would have figured this out right away.... but it finally dawned on me that one of the file's attributes was preventing deletion.

The attribute in this case was "A".... whatever that is.... -)

So:    attrib -a filename /s /d was the ticket to render the file or directory deletable for some.

But: for others, that command threw "Access is denied".   Any thoughts?
    FWIW, here's a screen shot of the command window :  first, an attempt to clear the "Archive" attribute, then a listing of all remaining (problem) files' attributes.   I tried various combinations of removing A first, S first, H first.... but it's not buying it.

Lotta command line typing going on ...

I can see a feature request here for WHS:  the ability to print the list presented by that "File Conflicts" screen - which would enable the user to paste same into some sort of .CMD or .BAT file....

Couple hundred files affected, and taking screen snaps of the dialog in various scroll states could get old.

BTW: Any idea how long before those messages stop being shown?   I've managed to delete/replace all the files cited in one share, but the messages persist - along with the "Health" notification on the share.  It's been a couple of hours at the time I write this.

Reboot?

Just a matter of time until some sort of background process runs?
    If you got rid of all of the broken files, I would try rebooting your server.  It should do another pass over all of the files, then once it's complete, report that your server is healthy.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:55 PM
  • Per my understanding of the moderators' preferences, I started a new thread "Access Denied: Persists After Re-Boot".

If I'm wrong on that understanding, let me know and I will mend my ways.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Per my understanding of the moderators' preferences, I started a new thread "Access Denied: Persists After Re-Boot".

If I'm wrong on that understanding, let me know and I will mend my ways.

In this case, it wasn't really necessary (it's just a continuation of your original problem).  But it works either way.  :)
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:22 AM