How to get Vistia to boot allow onecare to run and then shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to enable my computer to turn itself on at a certain time each week (while I’m at school) run the OneCare tune-up and then shut itself off, if possible without my password. I would just let it run at night like it suggests but my computer is in my room and is too loud to let me sleep.

Even if this is impossible, can I at least make it so that windows won’t bring up my screensaver (and eventually go into hibernation) if certain programs are running (like OneCare). And yes I am aware that I can just disable it but besides when those certain programs are running I want it to kick in.

Thanks for any help you can give

Redwarrior

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:25 PM

Answers

• Set up the Tune-up schedule for the frequency and time that you wish in OneCare.

Configure a task in Windows Scheduled Task that will wake your computer from Sleep to occur shortly before that time and set your power settings to put the PC to sleep again after x minutes of inactivity. The task can be as simple as opening Notepad.

Note that you cannot turn the PC *off* to have this work, it needs to be suspended or in sleep state.

Your screensaver and hibernation cannot be configured with that level of granularity. They are on or off and jump into action based on "inactivity" - meaning your use of the PC: keyboard/mouse/other input. OneCare running won't stop a screensaver from honoring the timer for countdown, nor will sleep/hibernation be stopped if OneCare is running a task, so you'll need to set the time to suspend to be at least as long as a typical tune-up.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:45 PM