none
Preventing or clearing file conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently created a home server and loaded the software with no real problems. The machine was left to run for five days and reported no problems - great.  I've not enabled any of the fancy bits yet - until I'm sure its robust.

I've not connected any of the home machines to it yet - just on the safe side. Although that is the main reason for creating the server - to stop regular trips for new larger hard discs to store homework etc.

Yesterday I loaded some JPEG files into the shared photo folder - easy. Less than 24 hours later I get a warning telling me that I have file conflicts in the photos folder.  The photos can not be accesses, viewed or copied off.

I've read the posts here - checked each hard disc - no problems found by chkdsk etc; rebooted the server - error message stays. 

The server has auto updates enabled - so should be working with all the current fixes/updates.

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:28 AM

All replies

• Have you read this FAQ, which details some of the common file conflict scenarios?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Yep - the article took me no further forward.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:06 AM
  • Yep - the article took me no further forward.

What are the details of the File Conflicts?  (You should be able to get that info from the Home Network Health monitor in the Console.)
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:46 AM
  • All the conflicts are in the shared photo folder. The error message indicates the file name is THUMBS.DB. But no file of that name exists in either the shared folder or the location from where the files are located on my photo computer.

I've been working on this over the last day or so and have completed the following tasks and noted the following:-

The same files have been copied into the publioc folder - the same issue has not been created;
    The photo folder has been cleared and the original files copied in - the files are now viewible but the Thumbs issue remains.
    The server has been virus checked with three different checkers - all report no issues
    Each hard disc has been unmounted and removed from the machine - problem remains

Next step is a complete re-install ....

Friday, November 13, 2009 9:41 PM
  • All the conflicts are in the shared photo folder. The error message indicates the file name is THUMBS.DB. But no file of that name exists in either the shared folder or the location from where the files are located on my photo computer.

Thumbs.db is a system file and cannot be seen unless you enable Show hidden files and folders as well as uncheck Hide protected operating system files.  Did you do both of those steps?

I've been working on this over the last day or so and have completed the following tasks and noted the following:-

The same files have been copied into the publioc folder - the same issue has not been created;
    The photo folder has been cleared and the original files copied in - the files are now viewible but the Thumbs issue remains.
    The server has been virus checked with three different checkers - all report no issues
    Each hard disc has been unmounted and removed from the machine - problem remains

Next step is a complete re-install ....

Friday, November 13, 2009 11:22 PM