none
Maximum RAM RRS feed

• Question

• How much RAM is to much RAM?

I know that 32bit OSes max out at about 3Gbs and 64bit OSes can handle more. Since WHS is based on SBS 2003 how much RAM does it max out at?

I have 2Gbs now and wondering if adding 2Gbs more is a waste of hardware and money. RAM is so cheap right now (2Gbs of PC6400 at $100).

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:42 AM

Answers

• WHS is based on the 32 bit version of Windows Server 2003, so it won't use more memory than that OS can. The maximum that a 32 bit operating system can use is 4 GB, so that's the maximum that you should consider putting in your WHS. However, I wouldn't recommend more than 2 GB; I don't think you'll see any noticeable improvement. Where you will see some improvement is with a faster network connection (wireless to 100BT, 100BT to Gigabit Ethernet), or (to a much smaller extent, and possibly masked by your NIC speed) faster hard drives.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:54 AM
  • As Ken said, here a link to explain the issue more:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

My best.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:09 AM

All replies

• WHS is based on the 32 bit version of Windows Server 2003, so it won't use more memory than that OS can. The maximum that a 32 bit operating system can use is 4 GB, so that's the maximum that you should consider putting in your WHS. However, I wouldn't recommend more than 2 GB; I don't think you'll see any noticeable improvement. Where you will see some improvement is with a faster network connection (wireless to 100BT, 100BT to Gigabit Ethernet), or (to a much smaller extent, and possibly masked by your NIC speed) faster hard drives.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:54 AM
  • As Ken said, here a link to explain the issue more:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

My best.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:09 AM
  • Thanks guys for your answers. I wasn't quite sure and had a hard time finding the answer at MS's website.

I have to agree Ken, the hardware config of the network has a lot to do with performance. I'm afraid that with so many people using wireless networks at home that streaming from your WHS is not going to be a good experience. I laid Cat5 just as wireless was coming out and I'm really glad I went though the hassle.

As far as the hard disks go I have an IDE drive that has the "SYS" partition and three Maxtor SATA 2s as the "DATA" partition configed to run at 3G with a SATA 2 MoBo. So hardware wise there is not much more that can be done.

But the two main reasons for the extra RAM was the price and would the extra head room allow more streaming to more computers. I have 8 computers that might access at the same time. I have my mp3s, some DVDs on the WHS now and would like to install a HD TV tuner and stream both live and recorded HD content.

As all of us tweakers do I'm looking to "push the envelope". Yes I know that WHS was not designed for streaming but after all isn't that what a server does?

Thanks

Mike

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:31 PM