none
Windows explorer does not recognize correct free disk space after adding hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I have a HP EX475, and recently I started to run low on disk space. 

Therefore I added 2 additional 1Tb each hard drives, increasing my storage from 1Tb to 3Tb.  However when I go into windows explorer (via RDC) it states that I have 445Gb capacity and 1.81Tb free space, this confuses me!  I proceeded to try to copy a 350Gb directory onto my DATA disk, but it failed due to 'insufficient disk space'.  I then tried to copy individual folders; this went well for a couple of folders, and then I received the message 'insufficient disk space'.  I am unable to copy onto the DATA drive, but my status is healthy.  Any ideas on correcting this?

Additionally, I have another question - as my new drives are larger than the originals, is there an easy way of moveing everything onto the new drives, and usingthe older ones purely for storage?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Par
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:30 PM

Answers

• The difference between space available and total space on drive is normal. Windows Home Server shows the total free space in the storage pool as "space available"; this is done because Vista won't even start a copy or move operation if there isn't space on the target to store everything, and otherwise WHS would be reporting remaining free space on the primary data partition of your server (which could be considerably less, if you used a smaller disk for the system disk).

Regarding moving data from drive to drive: there's no supported way to do this, but there's also no need.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• The difference between space available and total space on drive is normal. Windows Home Server shows the total free space in the storage pool as "space available"; this is done because Vista won't even start a copy or move operation if there isn't space on the target to store everything, and otherwise WHS would be reporting remaining free space on the primary data partition of your server (which could be considerably less, if you used a smaller disk for the system disk).

Regarding moving data from drive to drive: there's no supported way to do this, but there's also no need.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Thanks Ken
    But surely this causes the problem that I'm now experiencing whereby when I try to copy a 350Gb directory it fails, but I then have to copy individual folders.  And even those faile and I have to leave it a while and try again - it may or may not copy.  Still can't get my head around the manner in which windows explorer operates with this situation.
    Par
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:54 AM