Slow to boot up with Onecare? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it plausible that Onecare will cause an exceptionally slow boot up on Windows-basec computers? This appears to be the case on both my laptop and my desktop. Is Onecare in its present form really designed only for CPU's that are no more than one year old with very large amounts of working memory? Are there any tweaks to Onecare that would make it use less memory at start up or in some other way reduce the problem of taking a long time to boot up? I run simple and clean systems with no other security software or unusual programs installed, and I long ago stopped unnecessary programs from automatically starting up. I am not buying new computers just to accomodate Onecare; instead, I would look for slimmer security packages elsewhere.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Tommy, the most likely causes of extended boot times are conflicting programs or limited system resources. Since you stated you have no conflicting programs I would look at the amount of installed ram. Installing more ram will improve the performance of most computers. There could also be other conflicts other than antivirus or antispyware applications. I suggest contacting support to help find a resolution. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:39 PM
  • I'll add that I'm running OneCare on multiple PCs, some of which are indeed several years old. Yes, OneCare adds to the boot time, but not so much that it is apparent even on those old PCs. In my recent experience, the biggest drag on the older PCs is Windows Live Messenger in the startup process.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:30 PM