Live sync transfering to windows 7 mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 computers using live sync three use windows XP one windows 7. I have been very happy with live sync but now having to move to mesh my question is: If I start using my windows 7 computer and up grade to mesh will I loose my live sync capability on this computer? I am planing on up grading the other three computers to 7 so I can use mesh. Its very important me to be able to keep files the same on all four computers. I'm looking/hoping for a smooth transition Any thoughts, suggestions or direction

Thank You

Clyde11

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:58 PM

Answers

•  

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Yes. When you install Windows Live Essentials 2011, Windows Live Mesh will be offered. Live Sync cannot run with Windows Live Mesh and the two services do not share data. The XP machines will not be able to sync with the Windows 7 machine since Windows Live Mesh will not run on XP.

Windows Live Sync and Live Mesh beta will shut down on 3/31/11. To sync with the XP machines, you'll need to seek an alternative solution.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:28 PM

All replies

• I meant to say  Windows Live Essentials

Clyde11

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:09 PM
  •  

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Yes. When you install Windows Live Essentials 2011, Windows Live Mesh will be offered. Live Sync cannot run with Windows Live Mesh and the two services do not share data. The XP machines will not be able to sync with the Windows 7 machine since Windows Live Mesh will not run on XP.

Windows Live Sync and Live Mesh beta will shut down on 3/31/11. To sync with the XP machines, you'll need to seek an alternative solution.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Is there a 'Guide Note' or FAQ for us Sync users now being mandated to switch to mesh?

Microsoft splashed a warning at me today when I launched Sync that it was being discontinued and I MUST move to Mesh. The convoluted way needed to specify the location of synched folders is unbelievable — surely they could have written a short ‘guide note’ for Synch users transitioning to Mesh!

I’ve set up one folder set (large, with lots of pictures) and am hoping for the best as it runs overnight, with the status messages alternating between “Processing changes…” and “Communicating with server..”

Any tips or 'best practices' is much appreciated

MattB

Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:01 AM
  • Is there a 'Guide Note' or FAQ for us Sync users now being mandated to switch to mesh?

Microsoft splashed a warning at me today when I launched Sync that it was being discontinued and I MUST move to Mesh. The convoluted way needed to specify the location of synched folders is unbelievable — surely they could have written a short ‘guide note’ for Synch users transitioning to Mesh!

I’ve set up one folder set (large, with lots of pictures) and am hoping for the best as it runs overnight, with the status messages alternating between “Processing changes…” and “Communicating with server..”

Any tips or 'best practices' is much appreciated

MattB

Well, the first thing to do is go to the other forum as this one isn't for Windows Live Mesh, but the beta product that is also being discontinued. That can be found at http://windowslivehelp.com - select Mesh in the Windows Live Essentials section.

You can also find help information on Windows Live Mesh at the Windows Live Help Center: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mesh-devices-help-center

-steve

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:36 PM
  • I have 2 Win 7, 1 XP Pro, 1 Mac; it seems from what I've both read and attempted I cannot install on my XP--I can live with that however I really need an easy solution to transfer at minimum all my folders and data from Sync to Mesh and it would be great if it set up the sharing as well.  Frankly it's ridiculous if it doesn't, this is not how you migrate a new product.  Hopefully someone can advise me on how to either to a complete easy transfer of everything supplied by MS or at least a crude way to add folder by folder.

All suggestions are welcome.

thx

Marc

"If it flies, floates or fornicates; rent it. It's always cheaper in the long run."
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:08 AM
  •  Hopefully someone can advise me on how to either to a complete easy transfer of everything supplied by MS or at least a crude way to add folder by folder.

There is no migration. If you were using Live Sync or Live Mesh Beta, you uninstall these products, then install Windows Live Mesh and configure what folders you wish to sync. Since Windows Live Mesh won't run on the XP machine, it isn't part of the equation if you move to Windows Live Mesh and the Mac might also not be included if you are using an older version of Mac OSX.

Once you add the folders into the list of those to be synchronized, they will be detected as being equal, so files should not need to transfer.

Be aware that folders on the root of a machine will not allow you to specify the end point on other machines due to a bug in Windows Live Mesh -- they will go to the User folder on the destinations.

-steve

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:13 PM